Awakening 2

"Can you eat?" Jean nodded and lifted his arms. They trembled badly but he was able to take the loaf she offered and start eating. His weariness continued to drag at him but he focused as long as he could, eating at least half of the loaf before he lost track of what he was doing. She gently took it from his hands and helped wrap the blanket back around his arms before sleep claimed him. Mikasa's voice pulled him back. She was speaking to someone softly and he couldn't really catch any of the words. He opened his eyes. She was sitting beside him, facing Armin as she talked with him. Jean lifted his arm, grateful it was steady, and brushed his fingers through her silky black hair.

Mikasa stiffened her hand darting up to her hair as she turned trying to find the source of contact. Jean lowered his hand relishing in the memory of her soft hair as it passed between his fingers. He wished she hadn't cut it, but he didn't say so. She turned enough to look at him and he smiled up at her.

"Hey," he said softly.

"You're awake." she said. He nodded still smiling. Then he realized he really was awake and this wasn't a dream. He had touched Mikasa's hair. He flushed with embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." He didn't know what exactly he didn't mean to do but he hoped she would accept his apology. She ignored it and he figured that was probably for the best.

"Are you warm enough? Can I get you anything?"

"S-some water, and food." he managed to get out. She nodded and left the wagon to fetch them. Jean kept himself from hiding his head under his blankets. How stupid! What had he been thinking grabbing her hair like that? Jean wanted to die right there. Still he breathed deeply several times and was finally able to get a hold of himself by the time she came back. She had brought some for Armin as well, who thanked her. Jean tried to sit up, but found that was nearly impossible. Mikasa helped him get upright, but then he didn't have the strength to hold himself up. She sat next to him and let him lean against her for support. As hard as it had been to leave Marco and that fantastic world behind, this was completely worth it.

"Thank you," he said. Trying not to blush. She was so close to him he could feel her breathing as her sides moved against him.

"You're welcome." The closeness of their bodies didn't help his recovering muscles. He found His hand was shaking so badly he couldn't quite manage his cup. He was afraid to bring it to his lips because he was sure it was going to spill. Mikasa's left hand braced Jean's right and she helped him bring the cup to his lips. Jean had to focus his entire mind on drinking because he knew if he let himself think about anything else he was going to choke on the water. It was cool and refreshing which he was grateful for. She stayed with him until he was finished then helped him to lie down. He let her drape and tuck the blankets over him again, already feeling the alluring pull of weariness.

"Mikasa," he said, thinking of the multitude of things he wanted to say.

"Yes?" she replied.

"Thank you." The words didn't seem right to Jean though he couldn't think which ones would have been.

"For what?" she asked.

"For..." he trailed off thinking. "For everything," he decided. He didn't see her reaction since his eyes were already closed and his ears heard no more as he slept. He woke again as the sun was setting. He turned towards Armin who also turned to look at him. He remembered the questions that had come to him before he had been distracted by Krista's bread.

"Where are we?" he asked. "I thought we went to the clinic to be treated." Armin nodded.

"We did, but the leader of the Military Police force came back. He tried to kill you and Eren. Levi felt we were too vulnerable there and since he figured we'd all received enough treatment that we would recover we left. The doctor protested letting us go, especially you and Trand. He wasn't too thrilled about me leaving either saying that I wasn't ready to travel yet, but Levi assured him we would all be riding in the wagons not on horses."