Interim

Both of Carl's scouts returned at the same time sure that Eren Jeager was being taken the direction they had been sent to scout. Both of them had gathered surprisingly similar evidence; sightings of the corps, groups seeking medical attention and both asking about someone exhibiting symptoms similar to those that Eren Jeager should be. Although the groups were clearly different both men were assured that Eren was with the group they had been sent to spy on.

"Tell me about those you saw." The scout that had been sent north looked a little sheepish.

"Well, I only saw the group from a distance, so I can only confirm that they had wounded, some severely so. I did see their leader though. He was about so tall with gray hair. There was another one with him, a shorter boy with blonde hair and blue eyes." Carl remembered the one. He hadn't done much in their counterattack, at least not as much as Jean and that black haired girl.

"Well, Captain Levi was in the group that headed east, so you must have found the decoy group." The other scout said with contempt. The first scout glowered at the second.

"What of Eren Jeager?" Carl asked.

"The gray haired boy said they needed to take him north quickly." The scout who had gone east after Captain Levi's company said nothing. Carl turned his gaze to him raising an eyebrow expectantly.

"I didn't see Jeager, but I heard several members of the corps mention him and that he was recovering from something." It was troubling that neither scout had actually seen Jeager. Carl was tempted to go after the northern group first if for no other reason than to exact his vengeance on Jean Kirstein, but if Eren Jeager wasn't with them then it would be time wasted. The presence of Captain Levi was the deciding factor. Carl was willing to bet that Captain Levi wouldn't have let such a precious asset out of his sight for a single moment. That meant the true trail was the eastern one.

"Can you tell me anything else?" he asked the scouts. Both looked aside and Carl detected that each was trying to hide something in their expressions. He didn't much care since he already knew which way they would head. Finally the scout who had gone east raised his eyes.

"There was a really tall young man that I saw walking around with an arm pressed to his ribs. I imagine he took a serious injury there. Also there was a very talented black haired girl. She could be a problem if we attack her." Carl nodded. She could indeed be quite a problem as he had learned. But he smiled when he thought of the revenge he would take on her. If he couldn't have Jean Kirstein at least he could take care of her.

Carl guessed that if Levi had stopped to ask after medicine and was still running, that Jeager yet lived which meant their mission was not yet over. Besides, Carl still wanted a piece of Levi. His smile deepened when he imagined what kind of reputation he would gain for himself when it came to be known that he was the one who humbled the great Captain Levi and showed him his place. He ordered the Military Police with him to pack up camp immediately. They were back on the trail.

Travel became somewhat monotonous for Captain Levi's group and especially for Bertholt. Each day was a challenge to try not to aggravate any of his wounds. Each day he did his best to ignore them, but every time he moved something hurt. His ribs twinged with every breath, and every step sent spikes of pain up his shins. Mounting and dismounting triggered both areas, and his gratitude that his head ache was no longer present had lost a great deal of sincerity as the days passed. He did his best with Mikasa but even he could tell that she was really struggling with his reactions to her presence. He was unsure what would happen in the future and the knowledge that she could so easily take him apart made him afraid of her.

Every time he saw her his ribs ached and his shins throbbed. He could almost swear that the memory of the pain in his head rose as well. Those sensations only served to increase his fear and discomfort in her presence. It helped him to think that Eren was getting better. Although Eren was still feverish he was able to stay awake for longer periods. As they headed north west he was even able to ride some. Bertholt was surprised when Captain Levi called a halt. They set up camp even though it was only early afternoon. Captain Levi set guards and told them that they would need to keep their presence hidden, then went off to do other things. Bertholt was glad he wasn't the only one who was confused as to why they were stopping here. He noticed that Mikasa and Eren didn't seem surprised but with Eren mostly recovered Mikasa rarely left his side. Bertholt didn't feel comfortable talking to Eren with Mikasa around so he kept to himself. He wished Reiner was back so he could have someone to talk to.

Commander Erwin sat at his desk. He was reviewing the reports that had come back to him from his search into why the Military Police were attacking Eren Jeager. It would also help to know who had bribed members of the Military Police to fire on him during a public event. Still he dealt with the pace at which he was able to gather such information. A knock on his door made him raise his head curiously.

"Who is it?' he called.

"I have a messenger from Captain Levi." Hanji Zoe called through the door. "He says his news is urgent and can't wait." Erwin put down the report he had been looking at.

"Come in," he called. The door opened and Hanji and the messenger entered. Hanji closed the door behind them and stood in front of it. Erwin recognized Bertrand Allen. Bertrand was an adept tracker although he might not be as good as Sasha Blouse was rumored to be. Erwin hadn't had a chance to confirm who was the better of the two but for not having been raised with any formal training in the skill Bertrand was remarkably talented.

"Bertrand Allen. What is your message?" Bertrand handed Erwin a piece of paper, and gave a brief summary of their journey so far, detailing that they had been attacked and Eren Jeager wounded.

"Is he all right?" Hanji asked concern in her voice.

"He was alive and recovering well when I last saw him." Erwin nodded.

"Rest for tonight and provision yourself. I want you to ride back tomorrow evening. Tell Captain Levi to continue with the mission." Bertrand nodded, then saluted and turned to leave. Hanji opened the door to let him out then closed it again behind him. Erwin unrolled the parchment. It contained a brief handwritten note from Levi.

Interrogated scout. Gave up two names; Carl Anderson and Grigori Lobov. Erwin smiled. That was Levi, straight to the point. He wondered what it would cost Levi to know that he was once again being attacked by the Lobovs. Erwin had hoped that Nicholas had learned his lesson. Perhaps this was all driven by his son Grigori but it was possible that Nicholas was pulling the strings from behind. A second line gave coordinates of a location to send future messages. Erwin pulled out a map and checked the location till he found the hill. Glancing around it looked like a pretty defensible location and not likely to be stumbled upon by accident. Erwin destroyed the paper not wanting it to be found by the wrong eyes. Hanji was watching him curiously as if awaiting his orders from the door. Or perhaps hoping for more scraps of information.

"You should get some rest Captain Hanji. We've a busy day tomorrow."

"Yes Commander." she said, saluting before leaving. Erwin stood from his desk and walked over to the window. Night had fallen outside casting a net of stars across the black sky. Erwin breathed deeply pondering his next move. He wondered if the Lobovs were aware of the danger their opponent presented. Erwin recognized that while he had been able to gain Levi's loyalty through the years, he had not tamed him. Levi was still a wolf at heart. Although he followed orders and complied with the tasks he was given he still possessed a core of fire and rage. Levi had not forgotten his years spent in the underground city, he had not forgotten how to live on the streets, and he had not forgotten how to fight to his last breath for what he wanted. Erwin hoped this would all end soon and he wouldn't have to worry too much about it, but he feared it would not end peacefully.