Waiting and Waiting

Later, Mii-wa had rushed in again with bags and supplies hidden from our sights. She ran in Splinter’s room and we there was nothing from anybody for a long while. I knew Space Heroes was on, but neither Leo, Sophie, or me wanted to get up and turn the TV on.

Donnie had gotten up, though, but he stayed in the main room, pacing back and forth with a worried expression.

Mikey kept looking toward the dojo with an eager expression mixed with worry. It made me uneasy.

I was watching Donnie pace upside down. Why upside down? I was laying on my back shell and had my head hanging over the ledge.

Raph was still in his room. There hadn’t been a single sound since he closed the door after Splinter left. I think he was the one who had the worse internal damage from Naomi. Second place would be me.

Leo was tapping his foot silently, his head on the back of the couch. Pretty much opposite of what I was doing. Sophie was beside him, resting her head on his shoulder, and by the looks of it, sleeping as well.

The familiar sliding door opened and Mii-wa came out. All of us looked at her. Her amber eyes stared at each one of us for a few seconds, making my heart clench. Then she smiled. Somehow, the tension in the room just died down a ton.

Another door opened and Raph walked out of his room, looking at Mii-wa. His bandana under his eyes were a shade darker with little rivulets under them. He’d been crying more. No wonder he hadn’t made a sound.

Mii-wa sighed and tilted her head a little, “Thanks to the things I brought, Naomi should survive the night.”

“What do you mean ‘should’?” Donnie asked, who had stopped his pacing and came to sit with the rest of us.

“We’re not one-hundred percent sure that she’ll make the night,” Mii-wa explained. “But if she does make the night, then I can reassure you, she’ll be just fine if we keep an eye out on that wound.”

“Can we do see her?” Sophie asked. She’d be third most hurt in my book.

Sensei shook her head. “Not tonight. Maybe tomorrow.” We all nodded. “Now, Splinter and I will stay up to watch her. All of you go to bed.”

I rolled off the couch, Mikey helping me up afterward. Donnie, Leo, and Sophie all went to their rooms, closing the doors silently after them. Mikey patted my shoulder and walked to his room as well.

Only Raph and I remained. Mii-wa looked at each of us and sighed deeply. Both of us looked at her. She knew that we knew that we were the most injured out of all of us. But, her rule still stood. Turning around, Mii-wa walked into Splinter’s room.

Raph looked at the floor and sagged his shoulders. I cannot believe I was going to do this, but I came up to him and patted his shoulder. His green eyes looked up at me.

“Don’t worry.” I tried. “This is Naomi we’re talking about here.”

“Yeah…” he nodded his head, looking away. “But she’s more important to me than most things.”

Well that was a little of a shock. Raph just admitted that he liked Naomi. I was at a loss of words. I think I even took a small step back.

He chuckled without much laughter. “I know how that must come as something new, but it’s true…” he looked at me again. “But standing here isn’t helping any, Mikito. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Without another word, he turned and walked into his room, closing the door silently this time. His sentence was still processing through my mind as I walked to my room. I passed Naomi’s room and saw it eerily empty.

I hope tomorrow will bring better news.