Chapter 3- Never Growing Up

.

.

.

.

.

I stood at Mellisa's door nervously. What was I going to say? How would they react? What am I going to do? I ran my hand through my hair and took a deep breath. It's time to see my old friends.

Knock knock knock

I folded my hands in front of me and looked at the door. Please open the door.... It slowly opened, and a little red head with bloodshot eyes opened the door. She had a little pout and looked like a little girl who just fell down and scraped her knee. I knew it was Melissa. She looked up at me with her little eyes and cocked her head to the side.

"That's not funny, Tanner. You now how bad me and Nat are hurting over them taking her off life support." She crossed her arms, and sniffed

"What? I'm not Tanner. He could never pull all this," I motioned up and down my body. "off. It's really me Mel." I smiled at her.

"You alive? But you were in a coma for the past two years..." Her lip quivered, wow this girl has grown so much since I saw her last. I can't believe I missed two years of their lives.

"I woke up in the hospital only a little while ago. Wilson woke me up." I said, trying to convince her as best I could that it really was me.

"How? Did he shake you?" She laughed, god I missed her laugh too.

"No. Don't tell anyone but.... he cried and confessed like everything to me. That's how I woke up."

"I knew he was a softy." She poked my stomach and laughed. Then she threw herself at me in a big hug.

I let out a loud 'OOF' and stepped back, hugging her back. She wasn't crying anymore she was laughing. I was so happy I had my little maniac back. The trouble we can cause now that I'm back.... oh this will be awesome. She let go and was now jumping with glee.

"I can't believe it's really you. You wouldn't believe what school's like. Music isn't even fun when you're not there. They won't let us do improv!" She stomped. I laughed and shook my head at her 5 year oldness.

"Is Nat here?" As soon as I said her name she slowly nodded and lost all happiness. "What's wrong?" Melissa just grabbed my hand and pulled me behind her. She gripped my hand tightly when she and I layed eyes on our best friend curled up in a ball on her couch crying more than I've ever seen her cry.

"Oh Natalie..." I trailed off and placed my hand over my heart. "I can't believe I put you both through this. I'm such a terrible friend."

"It's not like it was your fault, you got in a crash and fell asleep. You couldn't stop it, you were only fourteen."

I nodded and sat beside Natalie. I rested my hand on her shoulder.

"G-go away Wilson. I want to just cry okay. You told me it's not your fault! I don't blame you. I just want her back."

"I don't think my hand is as big as Wilson's." I laughed.

Natalie sat up straight and turned around to look at me. Her lip quivered and she blinked back tears, a crumpled tissue in her hand. "RILEY!" She yelled and hugged me tighter. Her black hair fell into my face and I spit it out of my mouth. I lifted her head and so she would look at me.

"Oh hunny, your make-up." I said and she laughed at me.

I hugged her tightly and I felt Melissa hop on top of us laughing. "Stop crying and let's party!" She bounced up and down.