Chapter 5- Better than I thought

.

.

.

.

.

.

I looked out the car window to my new school. I widened my eyes and took a deep breath as I saw the students poured in and out of the school. I couldn't belive this was happening, I'm going to highschool. I ran my hand through my hair, what if I'm not ready? What if my dad's right and I shouldn't do this? I mean this isn't ninth grad this is eleventh, what if I can't do it?

"Hey, Riley. You okay, sis?" Wilson put his hand on my leg shaking me out of thought, assuring that I'm okay.

I nodded but didn't talk. I'm so nervous.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Melissa took my hand.

I nodded and smiled weakly "Yeah. Better late than never, right?" I got out of the car, only to see people staring at me and whispering. Why?

"It's okay Riley, they just read the paper. You are the miracle girl that woke up from a 2 year coma." Wilson placed his hand on my lower back and whispered in my ear. Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I looked up at the tall school and my knees grew weak. This is really happening isn't it?

"Holy crap, Riley you're shaking!" Natalie ran over to me and steadied me.

"Maybe dad's right. Maybe I'm not ready." I said walking back to the car.

"No. Riley you can't keep running away. I know things have been rough since the accident but you need to do this. Everything will be okay. We'll be by your side every step of the way, I promise."

I smiled at his reassurence. Let's do this.

I took a deep breath and walked forward to the doors. Wilson stayed and extra year out of choice, he needed to figure out something besides becoming a famous singer says my dad. Maybe I need to do the same. It is something I have my heart set on. After getting my locker number and combination, I walked with Melissa to my locker. I shoved all my books in there and my bag.

"You'll need your bag in music class, just saying." She pointed out.

"Oh, thanks." I sighed heavily "I can't believe I missed two years...."

"Well, you didn't miss much." Melissa shrugged.

With a loud BANG my locker shut nearly taking off my hand. I stepped back in shock, only to see none other than Tanner, leaning on my locker. He was wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a worn out v-neck. His was was it's usual messy-styled look and his grey blue eyes were dancing as he smiled at me. Why was I paying so much attention to him?

"Sup, ladies?" He smiled, crossing his muscular arms across his chest- oh stop that Riley!

Melissa rolled her eyes and looked down the hall to see if someone else was coming. I mimickied Tanner and crossed my arms over my chest and titled my head sideways.

"What do you want Tanner?" I swung my bag over my shoulder.

"I wanted to talk to you about this morning."

"What part? The part where you picked the lock on my bathroom door to get in while I was showering, or the part where you wouldn't stop making out with your freaking girlfriend every 5 seconds in front of me?"

"All of the above. It was a little out of line. But that girl likes to kiss- a lot. And I really just wanted to hear you sing. You have an amazing voice, it will come in handy for your music class." He winked.