Chapter 9- Kiss Me

.

.

.

.

.

Tanner's P.O.V.

I sat outside Riley's room. My head in my hands and my heart breaking. Did the kiss really mean nothing to her? She kissed me back, she kissed me! She wanted to I know it. Then how come she said it didn't mean anything? Those last words she said to me burned a hole in the back of my mind.

"N-no. It didn't." 

I'm not even sure if I heard her right. I hope she's lying. She didn't come after me, so how could she? She changed me to be someone completely different. I'd change who I am and how I act for her. I wouldn't steal things anymore, or use girls. I would love her. How can she not see it? 

I looked at her door and thought if I should go back in. Maybe if I just talked to her- no. It wouldn't make a difference. Give up, Tanner. I told myself. She hates you. 

I stood up and walked down the stairs when I came face to face with Mrs. Carmell.

"Oh! Tanner you scared me." She placed her hand over her heart and laughed.

"Sorry, Mrs. C. Just heading out." I tried to push past her but she stopped me.

"But we were just about to start dinner. Are you sure you want to head out?" She looked at me thoughtfully.

Mrs. Carmell was a really nice woman. Practically my mom. Ever since I came into this world just after Wilson she was there. And when things went south at my place.... she took me like her own son. But now her real kids don't even like me. So what's the point in staying?

"Tanner? Are you okay?" Mrs. Carmell broke me out of thought. I felt a tug on my heart when she said those words. That's what Riley said to me right before I kissed her. She sounded just like Riley. I had to get out of here. I had to go. I'll go stay the night at Matt's or Mason's. I'll be fine.

"Yeah, Mrs. C I'm fine. Thanks for the offer but I'm just gonna spend the night at a friends."

"Okay. Well we'll save you plate." She smiled sadly. I hated to see her like that. She felt like my mom.

I nodded and walked out of the house.  I made my way to my car twirling my keys around my finger. I came to a stop when I saw Wilson leaning against my truck. He had his arms crossed over his chest and he didn't look very happy with me. We haven't been in good terms lately. But I guess I wouldn't be the first to notice.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"A friend's." I said non-challantley. 

"Why?" 

"'Cause, I just wanna head out."

"I'll join you." He said, opening the passenger door.

"No you won't." He shut the door and I locked my truck.

"And why not?" He raised his eyebrow.

"Listen, Sherlock Holmes. I don't wanna spend the night here tonight. Too tense. I'm heading out and you're not coming, nor will you come later on, got that?"

Wilson looked shocked at my outburst. He didn't even respond, he just walked inside.

I got in my truck with a sigh and looked up at Riley's window. She sat on her window seat crying. I hated seeing her cry. I felt another tug on my heart, I wanted to go up to her and make sure she was okay. But she hates me, so why does it matter what I do?