Chapter 5

5

Emma

Our lips were only a breath away from each other. I could feel his heavy breath wash against me. I'm certain he can feel mine. We're so close. Just barely a space separated our lips. Right before our lips connected, Kester sighed and I suddenly felt cold.

"Emma, I-I can't..." His breath came out raspy. I opened my eyes and found him leaning against the railing of the porch. "I have a mate somewhere out there, and as much as you hate it, Soran is your mate. I can't do this to us. It would only make things more complicated in the future."

I nodded and looked away. "I understand. I'm sorry."

"No, it's my fault." I met his gaze again. "I should have tried to stop myself and us when I felt the urge to kiss you. You didn't do anything; I did. I acted, you reacted. It's my fault..."

I slowly stood and brought him into a hug. "It's alright. It's partially my fault. I should have stopped myself. Let's promise to never do that again, okay?" I stepped back and held out my hand. He gave it a firm handshake, then pulled me back into the embrace.

We pulled away and smiled at each other. "Well, that was... something." I said to make small talk.

"Yes, it was." I gasped and looked around Kester to see my dad watching us.

"I-I-I-I..." I couldn't speak.

"We'll speak about this later." He turned his attention to Kester, who was frozen in place. "Your mother is looking for you."

"Y-yes, sir..." He quickly jogged down the steps and ran back to the pack house.

"Come inside, Emma." He met me at the porch steps and together we went inside. "Now, care to tell me what happened today before this point?" So I quickly told him once I had calmed down enough to speak.

Mom entered the room when I finished and sat beside my dad on the couch. "This sounds almost familiar."

"Wait, what?" I looked to mom. "How?"

They shared a glance. "You wanna tell her?"

"Tell me what?" I asked as I looked between them.

Mom met my gaze. "You see, I didn't want to be with your father when I first saw him." He grimaced. "It was my first day at the school, and I found him allowing a girl to give him a blowjob right in the middle of the hall."

My eyes widened in horror as I stared at my dad. "You what?!"

"I'm not proud of it, either..." He mumbled as he pulled mom tightly to him, his nose going to her neck.

"Wait, then what happened?" I asked, my curiosity rising. "Why did you still go with him even though he did that?"

"Because neither of us knew we were mates," Dad said into her neck, making her eyes shut softly.

"Huh?"

"Your father was a player." Mom put a hand over my knee. "A big one at that. Because of it, his Wolf went dormant and he wasn't able to recognize me as his mate until I bit him."

"You... bit him..." I blinked slowly. "I did that to Soran, and look what happened."

Mom shrugged. "It was a shock to both of us. I had no idea what the sparks were, and your father couldn't believe that his Wolf had awoken after that."

"Oh..." I picked at my nails, trying to understand this.

"It was a very rocky start." Mom chuckled and dad groaned. "At first, we wanted nothing to do with each other. He was the player of the school, and I was the new girl. It took him a while to understand it, and I still didn't want to be with him. I'd already had a brush with the bad boy, and I didn't want it again."