Chapter 29

29

Emma

"Give it to me straight, Doc," I took a deep breath. "How long is this going to take? How long do I have to live?"

"Emma," Soran said in a stern tone.

"You're going to be just fine, Emma," The doctor sighed for the thousandth time. "I haven't even started the tests and you're already giving me a headache."

"That's kinda my specialty." I shrugged. "Anyway, how long is this going to take?"

"Few hours, maybe less." He tied the tourniquet to the upper part of my left arm and readied the needle. "It all depends on how long all the tests take and if you're willing to co-operate. And it also depends on how long it'll take for Soran to leave the room."

"And I won't." He said firmly. The doctor only sighed.

"Now, deep breath." I took in a breath as he stuck the needle in my arm. A few seconds later, my blood was in the vial. He wiped at the entrance and turned to his desk. I watched as the wound began to close itself and leave a small scar.

"I'll run this to the lab. When I get back, we have other tests to do." He labeled the sample then left the room.

I turned to face Soran. "You do realize you have to leave the room at some point, right?"

"I won't." He said again. "I'm not leaving the room. I'm staying in here the entire time the test is going on, no matter what."

I simply sighed. "I don't think you'd like it."

"Like what?" He asked.

"You'll see."

"Alright, let's do a few more tests." The doctor returned and pulled out the reflex hammer, knocking it against a few joints. A few I deflected, others I let him hit. "You're doing much better, Emma. Near Wolf perfection. I've dealt with a few half breeds and have had the same conclusive results. Let me shine this light in your eyes,"

I opened my eyes wide as he flashed the light around, watching my pupils. "Good, good. Doing exactly like they should. Follow my finger,"

This is stupid... I thought to myself as I did as he said.

"Now," He clicked the light off and I blinked to clear my eyes and to adjust them to the room. "It's time for Soran to leave the room."

"I'm not leaving," He growled. "You can't make me. I'm staying here the entire time to see how she does. I want to know the second the data comes in to see if she's better."

The doctor sighed through his nose. "I was afraid I might have to resort to this. Alright, Soran. You may stay here, but there are a few precautionary measures we must take. This way." He led Soran over to the far side of the room and opened a small compartment.

"What's this?" He asked as the items clattered on the wall.

"Precautionary measures." Was all the doctor said. "Now face the wall and place your hands above your head."

"What's the point in all this?" Soran questioned as he hesitantly did as he was told.

"Precautionary measures."

"Damn it, I get it, but what for?" The silver shackles clicked over his wrists and I heard the slight grimace.

The doctor removed his rubber gloves and tossed them. "I don't need you ruining this test. Emma knows what it is." The doctor spoke as he went over to the door and locked it.

I got off the bed and rolled my shoulders. "And you have everything I need for after the test."

"Under the middle cupboard there," He pointed to them and I nodded. "Now, close your eyes."