Chapter 20

20

Soran

Never have I ever seen such a huge horde of Rogues. Never have I ever seen them attack so viciously. Never have I seen them as if they were attacking in a pack. Rogues always attack in groups of two or three at a time.

These Rogues are coming at us in groups of five and six all at once with at least two raging in every ten seconds. I fought with every ounce in my body, making sure that I severely injured them so they couldn't heal right, or, if I really felt like it, I outright killed them. Why capture so many if we're just going to kill them all? Kill the ones who look the weakest and don't know much about who's behind the scheme and save the ones who look like they're in control of the groups.

That's what I've been trained to do. That's how we operate in my pack. That's how we get things done. It's quick, simple, and effective. Why waste countless hours of planning on something so small? Leave that for the more well thought out plans.

I sensed a new body enter the equation. I glanced over my shoulder and huffed. Why is Gaven here?! He could get seriously hurt- Whoa, okay, never mind. He just killed three Rogues within three seconds. He's either got a super boost right now, or he's running on pure adrenaline. This is either really good, or really bad.

On one hand, he can help us take out more Rogues.

On the other, he could get severely injured and not know it until he comes off his high and begins to bleed out.

Yet if he takes down a lot of Rogues, we might lose the more important ones.

Fuck it. Let him do as he wants. After all, he is Alpha and it's his land.

I'm just a visitor who won't become Alpha until I can bring my mate home.

If killing Rogues will help us find Emma faster, then so be it.

We just have to find the end of the Rogues, first. They just keep pouring out of the forest. It's getting harder to fight when you're falling over crippled and dead bodies and slipping in the blood soaked ground. Our attacks are becoming sloppy, both the pack's and the Rogues. We can't land any effective hits, making the battle draw out longer.

A bark near the back sounded and any Rogue that could tried to slip away. I growled. No. Not this time. I ran over to the body of a Rouge, rolled around in the blood a bit, then raced off after them, hoping the smell of blood will make them think I'm one of them, if only temporarily. I have to see where they're going. I can't let them get away again.

As I ran with the Rogues, I happened to catch a glance of a few of my pack members. "Fall back! I shouted to them. Make them think they're getting away! I've got this!" Slowly, they began to come to a stop.

A few Rogues around me rumbled with laughter. They glanced back at me, giving smug glances. I gave the same one, but only for a different reason. 'I've got you guys now...'

Finally, after a while of running, we ended up half way to the border of Northern California and came to a stop. We came to a stop and shifted back. "That was intense!" A Rouge said as he pushed his blood soaked hair out of his eyes. "I thought for certain I was gonna die!"

"You're telling me!" I had to force my eyes to stay above the female Rogue's chest. "Our leader never told us anything about the new guy's attack strategy! I don't think she even studied them!" She? So this Rogue knows something about the mastermind behind all this.

"Does she even know what she's doing?" Another asked. "It almost feels as if she's sending us in for our demise. I had been told she would be rotating the attack formations, but this is the third fight we've seen in a week! We're losing members!"