Prologue

Even with earphones in, I could still hear the kids yelling and running around in the airport. I get it, kids have a lot of energy but, it is midnight. Shouldn't they be tired right now? Luckily, my flight is about to come in so I can be on my way back to Miami. Now that I think about it, Camila hasn't arrived yet and our flight is going to be here in like a half hour.

I was at Wayne State University for the summer before I started my sophomore year of high school. I was always obsessed with Motown so I'm glad I was able to spend a few months in the city that started it all. I was even able to meet some people in the business, but you know everyone is "in the business" when they really aren't so I hope they actually can get me somewhere.

Camila and I have been friends since I was in kindergarten. We had to be pin pals with the grade above us and Camila just so happened to be my first grader. Luckily, we were one of the few pairs who actually became friends. And we've been best friends ever since. Camila had randomly became busy a few months before I left. But, we still talked like we always did so I didn't think too much of it. Especially since she had just auditioned for X-Factor USA, so I wasn't worried about her just dropping me.

I was so busy with the program I was doing, and other things, that I wasn't able to watch her process on T.V. But she said that she was still on it and in the finals, but that's all she could tell me without breaking contract. But I was still proud that she was able to make it. We were going to audition together but I didn't meet the age limit by a year so I just thought it wasn't meant to be for me.

Speaking of the devil, here she comes now. Of course she would be in a bright pink onesie in the middle of the airport. She had four other girls with her, but I just assumed that they were her friends she met on the show.

"Y/N!"

She yelled as she jumped on me. I was expecting it though since she's been doing it for years.

"I missed you so much, K.C."

I said into her hair making her giggle. She jumped down leaving her arms on my shoulders while my hands stayed towards the top of her sides. Once she hit the ground, she started with the questions at a mile a minute.

"I missed you, too. How was it? Is any college fun? Did you meet anyone from Motown? Write any more music? Did you get drunk and party the whole time? Did you make any friends? Find any new lovers? Come on! You know I have to live vicariously through you."

She said quickly, all at once. She wiggled her eyebrows as she asked about my "new lovers", then pouted towards the end. I laughed at her and shook my head but answered her.

"It was fun. And so is the whole college experience, except they still babied us since none of us are 18 yet. I went to Motown but it's a museum now but I did meet some people who said they'd call about my songwriting but I don't know how solid that is. Yes, I wrote some more music. Again, they babied us so no I didn't drink or party, weirdo. Yes, I did make some friends but I think they were more like "just for the time friends" rather than life time friends. And you know I don't just go looking for girls to mess with, Mila."

I replied, making the four girls a couple of feet behind us mouths drop open. I thought it was because I just said I was a basically a lesbian, but I was way off.

"How did you even understand what she said? We still don't know if she speaks English sometimes."

The one with green eyes asked. I laughed and Camila stuck her tongue out at her. She stepped to the side of me and introduced us.

"Guys, this is the best friend I was talking about, Y/N. Y/N, this is Normani, Dinah, Lauren, & Ally."

"Hey, it's nice to meet y'all. But what took y'all so long to get here?"