Chapter 8: Damn, He Called??

Saturday the 12th of February 1988.
It's been a month  since the concert took place and everything is back to normal. Babyface still  hasn't called Toni, she reckons that if he really wanted to speak to her, then he'd make a plan. She's disappointed in Face and doesn't wanna hear a thing about him  and gets very touchy when anybody mentions his name.... Kim / Toni and Candy are at the mall for a Girl's Day Out.

At Smoothies and Grills (made up)

Kim: Toni you've kinda been down since that Love Is In The Air Concert . What really happened between you and Babyface?

Toni: Urgh that name Kimmy *pretends to throw up*, it just urks me hearing  about him. I guess it's safe to say that some people aren't really who they appear to be, you know? Anyway how about we change the subject??

Kim: No Tone, we're your girls and it saddens us when you are down.

Candy: I agree with Kim Tone, I wasn't gonna say anything, but did y'all knock some boots?

Toni: *offended*, Hell No! What's wrong with you?

Candy: If it ain't that deep, then surely you can talk about it  boo. Now spill...

Kim: uh-haah!

Toni: Oohk guys. Remember when I told y'all that he complimented my voice and  took my number?? That's not all. He really seemed flirtatious, like he was really feeling me. We hugged for about 5minutes until  this other guy who used to be in The Deele called him  up. He kissed me on the forehead and was being all gentlemanly and shit.

Kim: Daang Tone... So, did he ever call?

Candy: Did he?? *raises eyebrow*

Toni: Nope, he hasn't even left a voice message *getting sad*. And to think that for the first two weeks after the concert took place I would check on my voicemails daily  hoping that maybe, just maybe I missed his calls .

Kim and Candy: Aww sis , *go in for a group hug*

Candy: Well Tone, if he doesn't call you that'll be his loss.

Kim: Yup, I mean fuck Face.

Toni: Yes fuck face..

Everyone laughs.

They proceed with their lunch at Smoothies and Grill, then watch a chick flick.. After lunch and movies the girls say their goodbyes and Toni heads back to her apartment *yes she moved into a new apartment 2 weeks ago*.

Toni's pov: Today was a good day, I mean the best since you know when. Why was I even tripping about that man, I mean he's a celebrity and we all know that the only people celebs care about is themselves right?? Maybe him not calling is for the better...

Toni's phone rings:

Toni: Toni speaking, hello??

Random guy: Hey Tone, how are you?

Toni: I'm good thanks and yourself?

Random guy: Likewise. I called your number and a girl named Towanda answered the phone, she told me to call you on this number...

Toni: Is  that so?..

Kenny: Yes ma'am, so how have you been??

Toni: I'm good.....  Sorry to ask, but who am I speaking to?

Random guy: Oh my bad Toni, where are my manners. It's me Kenny, we met a few weeks back at a concert.

Toni: Kenny as in Babyface Kenny??

Kenny: Yes ma'am. I meant to call a little earlier, but have just been caught up in a lot of things.

Toni's pov: Thank you Towanda, halle-luh-yaaah** Oh my, he called?? He actually called *blushing*

Kenny: Toni you're still there?

Toni: *still bushing*. Yes Ken, i'm still here....

Kenny: So Toni Braxton, do you by any chance have plans for Valentines Day?? That's my favourite day of the year. I hope your boyfriend spoils you rotten!

Toni: What boyfriend?? *sarcastically*. I'm soo single Kenny, I don't even wanna think about it. How about you, what will Mr Babyface Edmonds be getting up to on his favourite day of the year??

Kenny: Awww Tone, you didn't strike me as someone who's single... Apart from For The Lover In You concert that I have to do, I don't have plans either. I'll just be chilling at the hotel with the crew and all *sounds down *.

Toni: That really sounds fun. If I didn't have school on Mondays, I would have totally been there *sighs*.

Kenny: Don't worry Tone, one day you'll be headlining concerts and selling out stadiums. That's my promise to you...

Toni : *chuckles*, year right Ken. I am not Madonna

Kenny : Laughing, of course not, but you are Toni Braxton......

Toni: Yes sir, that I am *pats herself on the back *.

Kenny: So Tone, would you like to go out with me sometime this week??

Toni: As in a date??

Kenny: Yea Tone, you can call it that.

Toni: Wait, don't you live in  Atlanta??
Kenny: Yess, and so?

Toni : How am I going to find enough money to come over there?

Kenny: *chuckles*, you worry your pretty self too much.
Tone? 

Toni: Yes Ken?

Kenny: I'm gonna send out a driver to pick you up tomorrow if that's okay with you? We'll bring you back on Sunday?

Toni: SUNDAY??

Kenny: Yes Toni, I wanna spend the week with you. 

Toni: Ken you do know that I'm still in college and everything?  You see, there are these things called classes which I will be attending the whole week. Spending an entire week at your place is entirely too much. 

Kenny: *Laughing*, You're so dramatic. How about I send him to get you on Thursday after your lessons?  

Toni: That's waay better Babyface, please tell your driver to be on time. My classes end at 15h00.

Kenny: Yeah, yea.... Guess what Tone??

Toni: What?

Kenny: We've been speaking for an hour now

Toni: We have? It feels a lot like 10 minutes

Both laugh

Kenny : That's because you talk a lot *laughing*..

Toni: No, you're the chatterbox. 

Kenny: Haha, whatever you say Toni.....

Silence

Kenny: I'm glad that I called. 

Toni: And i'm so glad that I answered, thanks for calling. 

Kenny: It's a pleasure. I guess i'll see you on Thursday then

Toni: Maaaybe..

Kenny: Toooni?? You're killing me here....

Toni: Lighten up grandpa, i'll be there * laughs*

Kenny: It's okay Tone, we'll see who'll have the last laugh *chuckling*... Goodnight angel, I have to go.

Toni: Goodnight Ken... *hangs up**.

Aaaaaaaaah * screaming* and does the moonwalk all around her apartment. She puts on Babyface's album, starts singing his songs then pours a glass of wine, puts on a movie and falls asleep on her couch.

Babyface's Pov: I lied to her about being too busy, Lord knows how much i've been wanting to speak to her.. I don't wanna hurt Jess *his wife * or anything, but ever since I  laid eyes on Toni I cant stop thinking about her.  Plus Jess and I have been arguing  like cats and dogs lately, I can't stand her jealousy. I mean i'm a good guy, but her insecurities are pushing us away. I don't even think I have any strength left in me to try and fix this marriage. *sighs*,