chapter 3

****

What does one pack for a fake honeymoon? Iris stood in the middle of her room, surrounded in clothing and lingerie but couldn't for the life of her decide. Moments earlier she and Nikolas had "tied the knot" after which he'd driven her to her apartment so she could pack. Now he was sitting on her couch, probably anxious to leave, and she was having a minor breakdown. Could things get any worse?

Of course, life had a way of messing things up further which was proven when Nikolas appeared in her room. He bent down and picked up a red teddy that she had thrown across the room.  

"You should bring this... and anything like it that you own."

Iris groaned- Her suitcase was empty, Nikolas was examining her lingerie, and their flight was due to depart within an hour. Her stress level was through the roof. Without a word, she collapsed on the bed. Nikolas moved to her side and stroked her back gently. His thumb massaged a line down her spine that had the intended effect on her body; she loosened up, letting out a heartfelt sigh. She remained on her stomach a moment longer, enjoying the caress. Nikolas knew exactly where to touch to make the tension ebb. His thumbs rubbed the sides of her neck, placing the pressure on the base where it seemed most of the pain was centered.

"You worry too much Iris," he whispered, the first to break the silence.

Iris rolled onto her back and looked up into his eyes. They were unreadable, as usual, but

she thought she saw traces of kindness in them. She cupped his jaw and brought his face down to hers for a kiss. It was slow, warm, lingering- unlike the kisses they had shared before. It made her heart clench in such a way that she gasped. It was the pang of affection... a dangerous thing to be feeling. She could respect Nikolas, she could even like him to some extent, but affection was perilously close to a stronger emotion. Nikolas felt her draw back from the kiss, first mentally then physically. His expression was puzzled when she had the nerve to look at him.

"I... uh, I should pack. Our flight." 

Iris knew she was stuttering like an idiot and she was sure she looked as startled as she felt. 

"Of course," he moved off the bed, "I'll leave you to it then."

Iris watched him walk out with a heavy heart. It couldn't be good if she was already starting to get feelings for Nikolas. She'd have to come up with some way to distance herself emotionally but for now the daunting task of packing lay before her and she had to find some way to get it done in less than 30 minutes. No pressure at all.