chapter 12

When she got out of the shower Nikolas was gone. She sat around for the rest of the day watching TV though she couldn't understand a single word being said. Around 8 she decided to change for bed. She slipped into her favorite negligee; It was royal blue, see-through, and lacy. Iris looked in the mirror and suddenly thought of Nikolas. He wanted her body, he'd said so himself. Of course, he wanted all but her heart, that much was clear. She couldn't afford to fall in love with Nikolas. He was unattainable. A man that lived the years that he had without once committing to a woman? With a sigh, she walked to the bed and pulled the covers down. It was pointless to worry about it and she was so tired, she fell asleep the second her head hit the pillow. 

***

Someone was in the apartment.

Iris sat up in bed, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. She'd been having a nightmare but couldn't quite recall what it had been about. She looked around the darkened room, trying to remember where she was, and suddenly knew why she'd woken up so suddenly. Someone was walking around the apartment; their steps falling loudly on the wooden floor. It was Nikolas, of course. Iris slipped back under the covers and turned on her side, facing away from the door. She was barely able to keep from jumping when he burst in. There was a long silence as he paused at the entrance. She could feel his eyes on her and it was a challenge to regulate her breathing. Iris heard his clothes hit the floor, each thud sending a small shock through her body. It wasn't fear she was feeling... fear couldn't make her body tingle and her breasts tighten this way. She didn't understand what was happening but she knew it was important that she remain still. She bit her lip to keep from gasping when Nikolas pulled the covers away from her body. The sensations got a lot stronger, so strong she was sure he heard the whimper that escaped her. 

"Iris come to me."

His voice was liquid gold, warm honey, everything she ever wanted rolled into one sensuous sound; Her body responded to it, turning to him, her hands reaching for him eagerly. When she saw his eyes, understanding dawned. Nikolas was hungry. What she was feeling must be some reaction to his condition.  

"Nik what-"

"I've waited so long to feed. Will you allow me a taste?"

It was the most powerful seduction. Something about his voice... Iris sat up quickly and realized her mistake when she came face to face with him. Nikolas was all predator now- his eyes a dark red, his fangs extended to their fullest, and a determined look on his face. He touched the straps of her negligee; his fingers playfully moving from the top of her breast, where the strap began, to her back. He pulled it down her shoulder, leaned forward, and kissed the sleep-warmed skin tenderly. Iris felt his breath against her as he whispered, "I only want to give you pleasure Iris."

"You're thirsty."

"For you," his eyes connected with hers, holding her still with some power she didn't comprehend, "So thirsty... will you let me taste you?"

Iris looked away. If she was going to make this decision, she needed to know it was hers and not a part of his persuasion. After a deep breath, she turned to him once more. Without a word she kissed him, gently so as not to cut herself. When his lips trailed to her throat, her fists clenched. What if he was too hungry to control the pain? She waited for the bite... and waited. However, Nikolas was merely kissing her, sucking gently so that the blood rose to the surface, coloring the skin. 

"Ready?" he whispered a second before sinking his fangs into her as deep as he could. 

Her whole body arched against him- toes curling, eyes widening, nails digging into his biceps. Waves of pleasure rolled over her and she never wanted to come up for air again. It was tantamount to sex. When he pulled away, she pushed him back against the bed, straddling him. Nikolas chuckled as she grabbed his wrists and pulled his hands above his head. 

"Need release?"

Iris shifted her hips, her hand curling around him as she positioned him beneath her. 

"Take it," Nikolas growled and she pushed down. 

The friction was electrifying! Iris swayed back and forth slowly at first and then faster. Her hands found their way into her hair as she rocked against him. His in turn were on her breasts, teasing them, kneading them. When she first began to clench around him, he rose up, thrusting hard into her, and wrapped an arm around her waist to keep her on top of him. His mouth found its way to her breast, where his fangs once again pierced the skin. This time, however, she screamed. The sensations were too much. She moaned his name time and time again as he sucked at her breast. When her body could no longer hold her up, he lifted her into his arms and walked into the bathroom. He held her under the shower, negligee and all, as the water washed away the blood that had dripped from the wound and the residue of sex. Iris looked up at him after some time and smiled. 

"That's two things now," she murmured. 

"What do you mean?"

"Two things you want from me... body and blood." 

She was asleep before he could reply and that was just as well because he didn't know what he would have said. She was mistaken if she thought that was all he wanted. In fact, he had come to want too much. It was time he remembered who he was, Nikolas decided... better now than later, when they were too deeply involved in each other to go back.