Chapter Fourteen

Peeta POV

"She's awake!" I hear Haymitch exclaim from Katniss's room. I sprint through the hallway.

"Where is he?" She asks frantically. "Where's Peeta?"

This surprises me. Before she ignored me while telling her to stop running, but now she's screaming for me to come to her.

"Katniss?" I whisper softly, as I reach the doorway of her room.

"Peeta!" She exclaims, trying to get out of the restraints. "Why am I in these things?"

"Calm down, Katniss. You were in a coma. The restraints were on you because you kept lashing out on nothing." I say to her as calmly as I can.

"So. . ." She starts, tears welling up in her eyes. "I am a mutt."

My breath catches in my throat. That's what seemed to happen to everyone in the room at the moment.

"I'm a stinking mutt! Just like you said, Peeta. I try to lash out even when I'm in a coma. I probably do it while I'm sleeping too!" She yells. "Just lock me up and throw the key into an ocean! I killed Finnick! I killed Jackson! I killed Boggs! I killed Rue! And the list goes on, and on, and on, and on! It never stops! I'm a mutt! A stinking mutt!"

"Katniss, calm down!" Haymitch yells at her, trying to get her to stop screaming.

"This is all my fault." I whisper, sliding up against the concrete wall with my head in my hands. I hug my knees tightly to my chest. As I think,

It wasn't Snow who broke her.

It was me.

*******************************