Chapter Nineteen

Peeta

When Katniss passed out, all hell breaks loose. Haymitch punches me hard in the jaw, making me jump on him, making the doctors and nurses scramble around to try and get me off of Haymitch while Katniss is still laying on the floor, unconscious. Haymitch gets on top of me, sitting on my stomach, pinning my arms down with his legs while he repeatedly punches me in the face. I feel blood gushing out of my nose, and I see a bruise already forming on Haymitch's cheek where I punched him.

"You freaking bastard!" Haymitch yells between punches.

"I never meant to hurt her!" I yell back, finally pushing Haymitch off of me and pinning him to the wall.

"Liar!" He spits in my face. "You only cared for her before the rebellion. The hijacking changed you. You don't really love her anymore. You're a liar!"

"I know I'm a liar!" I scream, not knowing what I'm saying until it flies out of my mouth. "But I do love her. You have to trust me on this, Haymitch."

"Don't trust him!" I hear Katniss yell behind me.

"Up already, sweetheart?" Haymitch asks sarcastically. "Now can you help me with lover boy?"

Katniss looks up at me, her eyes gleaming with tears.

"Put him down, Peeta." Katniss demands.

"And what's a mutt like you going to do about it." I spit. I regret the words right as they spill out of my mouth. Black spots cloud my vision, making me drop Haymitch. I see Katniss clawing at her ears on the floor.

"I'm a mutt." She whispers. "A stinking mutt. I deserve to be killed.
"My name is Katniss Everdeen
I am twenty years old
My family is dead
Peeta . . .
Peeta says I'm a mutt
I believe him
I'm a mutt
A stinking mutt
I killed everyone in District 12
I killed Rue
I killed Mags
I killed Finnick
I killed mother
I killed father
I killed Prim."

"It's not real, Katniss!" I yell at her, tears rolling down my cheeks, Haymitch holding me back.

"Peeta," She whispers, taking her head out of her hands and looking up at me. "Wake me up."