Chapter Seventeen

Peeta POV

The doctors take me out of the room once Katniss falls asleep.

"Why are you telling her lies?" Haymitch yells, pushing me up against the wall. "We all know that you're going to leave her again once Melanie's baby comes. I know how in love you are with children. You're going to go crawling back to her, just like you did after the rebellion."

"I promised her that I wouldn't leave her this time!" I yell back.

"And how many promises have you broken?" He asks, pushing me farther up against the wall.

"I didn't-" Haymitch interrupts me.

"Remember, Peeta! 'You Said Always!'" He shouts. Nurses and doctors try to get him to put me down, but he ignores them. "You left her, and guess who has to take care of her! Me!  I stayed with her while you were busy making babies with your little slut!"

"Melanie wasn't a slut!" I yell back at him, making his face grow even more red.

"Then why did she cheat on you?" He asks. "Huh? Why she cheat on you with a stranger in your own room?"

"She loved me." I growl, making him scoff.

"Keep telling that to yourself, lover boy," He growls back, letting me fall out of his grasp. "I swear to god, you touch her again, you'll be dead. I don't care if she loves you. You'll be dead."

"What happens if I touch her really, Haymitch." I say, making him turn to face me again. "You won't kill me. You went sober just to save me. Save us. You wouldn't have the heart to kill me. Katniss would kill you. She loves me." I'm getting too over confident, but it all fades when I hear Katniss's voice.