Chapter Twenty-Two

I watched out the window of my room. All the happy people walking around, smiling and laughing...

Just look at them, they have it good, don't they?, I thought to myself.  

Anna's heels clicked through the hallway and stopped at my door.  

"Peyton? Lunch is on the table." she said, knocking on the door lightly.  

"Okay." I said with my raspy voice that was almost gone.  

I wrapped a blue blanket around my shoulders and walked downstairs. Zayn and Anna were sat at the kitchen table, eating sandwhiches. I took my seat and stared at my peanut butter sandwhich. 

I could feel the silence come around me.  

Anna mumbled to Zayn about something and he nodded.  

"Peyton." Anna spoke, breaking the silence. 

I looked up at her. "Yeah?" 

She cleared her throat. "The boys are coming over for a movie tonight."  

Her voice echoed throught the strangely quiet house.  

I swallowed hard. "O-okay."  

"We're watching Forrest Gump cause Niall wanted to. If that's okay with you." Zayn explained. 

"That's fine." I managed to squeak.  

Zayn nodded and Anna stared at her almost empty plate.  

I pushed my plate away and walked to my bedroom. Leaning against the wall as I walked, I kept an expressionless face and sat down at the vanity.  

"Not good enough. That's what you are, Peyton. Imperfect only begins to describe you." My brain kept telling me.  

I rubbed the tired from my eyes and rested my head on my fist. I continued to stare into the blue eyes of the girl in front of me. She wasn't like I thought she was.  

"What's wrong with you, Peyton?" I cooed as I placed my hand on the mirror.  

A familiar tingling of bells caught my attention. Buckles jumped in my lap and wagged his little tail at me.  

"I'm overreacting to this, aren't I Buckles?" I said. 

He yipped. 

"I know I am. I'm stronger than this. I made it this far. I can take this."  

"You can." Zayn's voice rang.  

Buckles jumped down from my lap and Zayn walked in a sat on my bed. 

"He's just one guy, Peyton. There other people out there." He said.  

I turned away from him and sighed. "But there's none like him. That's the problem."  

"There someone better than him, though."  

I slammed my hand on the vanity. "No. No there's not, Zayn. He's perfection itself and I wasn't the right one. He needs someone with a better past than mine. He doesn't need to deal with a sob story like me. I'm just a charity case. Nothing special, nothing important. Just a sad excuse for a human. That's all I am."  

He opened his mouth and held up his finger. "I-I... Peyton.." He stuttered.  

I turned away and held back tears as he walked away, shutting my door. I walked to the closet and pulled out a purple tank top and jean short-shorts. I grabbed my blue sports bra and walked to the master bathroom. I set my clothes on the sink and took a hot shower to relax my body. I got out a wrapped my hair in a towel and put on my clothes. It was 3:56. I walked downstairs and sat on the couch. After playing Mario Cart on the Wii, I turned on my favorite show, Girl Code.  

"Hey Peyton." Anna said and sat beside me. 

"Hi." I said. 

"How are you?"  

I shrugged and the doorbell rang.