Prologue

THE FOLLOWING STORY MAY BE TRIGGERING. READER DISCRETION ADVISED.

****

It was the time of day when the boys went out into town. It was the time of day when they would have fun. It was free time. And tomorrow would just be another day off. The Bangtan Boys always took advantage of their days off as well as their free time. However, as Bang Si-Hyuk took light steps down to the dance studio at the end of the hall, he could hear the music playing. He set his hand on the door handle and leaned his ear against it. He could hear the golden voice singing as well as footsteps rhythmically gliding along the floor. Quietly, his hand forced the handle down and he entered the room. The performer didn't even notice the sound of the door opening.

The performer was drenched in sweat. His feet and arms moved together as his vocal chords prepared for a falsetto. The mirror guided him as he made the final movement and hit the note. However, he fell just flat of the note he was striving for and his arms and feet fell out of sync. The music continued playing on, but the performer stopped to take deep breaths. His eyebrows furrowed and he ran his hands through his hair in self-disappointment. Suddenly, Bang-nim cleared his throat and the performer became petrified in embarrassment. The boy raced over to the radio and stopped the music then quickly bowed in respect.

"Sorry, sir, I didn't know you were coming," the boy looked at Bang-nim.
"That's alright, Jungkook," Bang-nim said. "I've heard you've been burning the midnight oil for the past few nights—alone. I'm surprised Jimin or any of the others haven't joined you. You've been working quite hard."
"Thank you, sir."
"Your dancing is becoming much more expressive as well as your singing and performances. I appreciate that."
"I just want it to be good."

Bang-nim let out a sigh that attracted Jungkook's attention. Jungkook's eyes carefully followed Bang-min's footsteps as he walked up toward him and wrapped his arm around Jungkook. Bang-nim led him and Bangtan's maknae—the youngest member—to the mirror where Jungkook just was.

"Jungkook," Bang-nim started, "look at yourself... Do you feel the need to be perfect?"
"No, sir, not at all," Jungkook instantly replied.

Bang-nim shot Jungkook a small glare through the mirror. Jungkook made eye contact with his reflection and then looked down at Bang-nim.

"Maybe...," Jungkook reluctantly mumbled. "I don't know..."
"I understand if you do, Jungkook. But to reach the next level of performing and skill, you must learn to express your true self—and your true self is not perfect."

Jungkook turned his head back toward the mirror and looked at himself; his white t-shirt and ripped jeans...not to mention his mahogany-dyed hair all without the hairspray and professional help.

"Do you understand me, Jungkook?"
"Yes, sir."
"Now, why don't you join the others for some well-deserved free time? You need it."

Jungkook remained frozen with Bang-nim by his side. He desperately wanted to refuse Bang-nim's friendly gesture. He hadn't exactly mastered everything he wanted to.

"Alright, if you won't listen to my suggestion, I have no choice but to order you to stay out of all practice rooms and facilities."
"Yes, sir."
"Have some fun, Jungkook! A creative mind only stays creative if you let it explore different atmospheres. You're still a young boy, Jungkook. Hold onto your youth as long as you can."

Jungkook nodded and Bang-nim led him out of the practice room. He turned off the lights and closed the door on their way out. Bang-nim made sure to lock the door as well. They walked back to the BTS dorms and then parted. Jungkook walked into the kitchen and saw Jin chopping some vegetables. A tasty aroma filled the kitchen from Jin's cooking. Jin looked up and saw the maknae walking toward him.