Chapter.20 {B A C K T R A C K}

You walked downstairs and you felt oddly fulfilled. The smell of smoke drifted into your nose and you felt your heart stop, you ran down the stairs and you missed a step and tumbled down. You hit hard and you rubbed your neck and pulled yourself back to your feet and stumbled to the kitchen.
"Frisk, Pap?!" you sucked in a breath of air.
Papyrus turned to you with a bright smile "Human, me and the small human made perfect pasta!" he gestured to Frisk by patting their head, and then moving to the side to expose a large black pot on the stove. Fisk smiled and looked at the floor, and you walked to the stove and peeked into the pot.
The pasta had burnt in the sauce and you noticed how stiff most of them looked. You felt your heart swell and you turned to them with a big smile "This is amazing; your best pasta ever!"
Papyrus tilted his head "Have you had my spaghetti before human?"
You gulped and shook your head but Pap grabbed your shoulders and laughed
"I must be popular on the surface too!" he looked serious suddenly "I am very popular here."
You nodded quickly "Oh yeah, I talked to so many people about you." you lied "I heard about your strength and great puzzle solving skills"
He looked wide eyed and his eyes got big and he wrapped his arms around you and hugged you "You must be my number one fan, don't worry human we will get you a signed autograph!"
***
You sat on the couch with Sans sat next to you and Frisk and pap sat to your sides.
"Wow bro, this is your best batch." Sans smiled and you noticed his cheeks weren't as blue.
"Thank you, Frisk helped me, [y/n] was just gushing to me about how popular I am"
Sans smile grew
"Did you know I was popular Sans?!" Pap gushed excitedly "Maybe I could meet MTT"
You smiled and ate a small forkful of pasta, this batch crunched in your mouth and the dust was smothered in overcooked sauce. You smiled through it and swallowed. Pap looked at you while you ate and seemed to re think his 'best batch'
Frisk stood up suddenly and Sans looked to them nervously. They watched Sans with a small smile "I'm getting seconds" they signed.
Pap nodded furiously and followed the child to the kitchen.
Sans leaned back into the couch, he turned and glanced at your plate. He made a soft whistle noise and a small white dog bounded down the stairs and wagged its tail excitedly. He smiled at you "I'm glad you're tryin to make Pap feel better... Don't hurt yourself though"
You placed the plate on the ground and the dog seemed to swallow the food whole.
Pap walked in and ran over to the dog "Shoo, shoo!" the dog ran off and you and Sans sank back into the couch awkwardly. Pap looked at the plate on the ground sadly and then turned to you "That dog always ruins things" he turns to Sans "I think we need to invest in a table, the humans noodle arms were getting tired and the dog ate [y/n]'s food!" he picked the plate up off the ground.
"I think that's a great idea bro, maybe next time I get paid"
***
Your dreams brought you back to the void. When you arrived Chara stood waiting for you, they looked bothered, their hands were behind their back and their smile seemed strained.
"What do you think you're doing?" their head tilted a little and their expression seemed to intensify.
"I'm living happily" you stood your ground and kept a serious expression even though your stomach seemed to be tied in knots.
"Is this what happiness means for you, remembering everyone, but being left behind?" They walked forward slowly "To have so much power, but not be able to use it to destroy what you know deep inside you want to?!"
You kept your feet planted "I want to live without having to harm the ones I care about when things get tough"
They laughed and it seemed to pierce your ears, small black beads formed in the corners of their eyes "You won't beat me, you'll see. You can NEVER get rid of me!" they screamed "you won't go back on me, you won't leave me alone!" the tears fell "You come crawling back every time, you can't stop fate this is how I was made!" They laughed psychotically and fell to their knees. You blinked and they were replaced with Flowey.
"[y/n] don't you have anything better to do?" Flowey squinted at you. "no matter how much hope you gain everything will fall" Flowey looked downcast "Your friends will die one way or another... I think you know that already..."
"Why do you care about what I do, why do I matter?"
Flowey's head turned and his expression was dark "Because all you'll do is throw us away when you're done, once you're finished with this you'll leave and never come back" Flowey leaned toward you "You won't forget me, you won't leave me, you'll keep making the same mistakes forever."
"I'll protect the ones I care about" you felt your anger and took a deep breath "I'll even protect you Flowey, you won't be alone"
Flowey seemed shocked and then his expression got angrier "I'll kill everyone, you, Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, Asgore, Toriel... ALL OF YOU; DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE YOU CARE!" Flowey yelled angrily "I will ruin everything you've worked hard to gain" Flowey's smile grew "well look at what we have... have fun with this one..."

                                         ***

        You were woken up to a loud scream. You blinked quickly and Frisk sat up slowly and rubbed their eyes curiously. "Stay here" you whispered.
Frisk shook their head stubbornly and when they tried to move they froze. You ran up the stairs to Sans's room. slowly you knocked on the door "Sans?"
"Don't come in" His voice was shaky
"Sans are you okay?" You didn't get an answer, all you heard was a shaky breath.
You opened the door and Sans sat on his bed shaking and holding his face. You noticed the blue smoke leaking from between his fingers. He looked to you with a pained expression "Why did you kill everyone, why are you pretending to be a good person?" he raised his voice and you felt your body freeze up. he raised you up off the ground and the monster appeared next to him, it's mouth glowed and you felt your eyes widened and you stumbled to find your words "I haven't hurt anyone Sans!"
Sans looked shocked with what he was about to do "I know, and that what makes this so hard for me." He stared at you and flinched.
"I'm not going to hurt anyone, remember my promise Sans?!" The monster seemed stalled.
"Oh yeah... I remember every single one of them" what he said seemed to push him and you felt your body burn. You screamed and suddenly it stopped,you fell to the floor and you could barely move.
"Sans what on earth are you doing?!" Papyrus fell to his knees next to you and cradled you in his arms "Human, hold on please, don't give up!" the world went black and you heard a familiar voice.

"If you really love me... You won't come back"

½ hp lost
[LOVE]