Chapter 30

Laura's POV

Carmilla chuckles, still rubbing my back. I melt into her arms, letting myself draw comfort in her closeness. "I don't know, creampuff. But like you said, he's your dad. I'm sure he would want to know sooner rather than later." I'm not convinced that telling him right now would do any good. "It'll either be now with you and your dad and me, if you want or it'll be quite public with the Scooby Gang coming over."

I sigh, "I hate it when you make sense."

"Hey." Carmilla pulls away, placing her hands on my shoulders and looking into my eyes. My breath hitches at our closeness. Calm down, Hollis, I chide myself. Just because your hot vampire ex-girlfriend is close enough to kiss... My eyes dart down to her lips. Dammit. Keep it in your pants, Laura. "I'll be right there if you want me to be, okay? Nothing bad is going to happen to you, sweetheart."

We both ignore the fact that the nickname "sweetheart" doesn't sound like something you'd call your ex.

"I'd like you to be there, Carm. And it's not me I'm worried about." She blinks, confused. Dang that beautiful face for always looking beautiful. "My dad has a slight tendency to... overreact. When I was really little, like first years of school little, this kid in my class accidentally hit me with his tricycle. I wasn't hit super hard, I just had a few scratches and bruises, but my dad completely freaked out. He kept saying that recess was dangerous and then that escalated to him saying that school is dangerous and then I was home schooled until college."

"What I'm getting from that story is that your father is more overprotective of you than I thought. Shit, Laura, he's going to kill me for turning you." Carmilla runs a hand through her hair, an automatic habit she does when she's stressed. It's something I noticed when we were dating and found really cute (and kinda hot, her hair is awesome and I always love to run my hands through it and play with it).

"I won't let that happen, Carm. My only other worry is me possibly biting him. I think the salts are wearing off again."

"Then I'll help you control your bloodlust." I relax, smiling at her. She notices how close we are and drops her hands to her side and takes a step back, clearing her throat. "Taste the air. Can you smell his blood?"

"It smells delicious and it's kind of freaking me out." I respond, fighting the urge to clamp a hand over my nose to block out the smell.

"Don't worry, that's completely normal. Now, is it getting too much for you? Do you feel the need to drink?" Carm asks, her hand reaching out to lightly touch my wrist.

I wrinkle my nose. "Drink? As in drink him? No way, he's my dad and human, Carm. I don't want to drain someone."

Her eyebrows raise, "You don't feel the urge to sink your fangs into a throat?"

"Uh, no. Am I supposed to?"

"Wow," Carmilla laughs softly, shaking her head. "I mean, I knew that you're special, but cutie..."

"What, Carm?"

"You aren't experiencing the bloodlust like most newly turned vampires do. Now, that's not bad, it's just exceedingly rare."

I bite my lip, my worries not going away. "What does that mean?"

Carmilla smiles at me and I momentarily forget how to breathe (thank TARDIS I don't have to anymore). "It just means you're powerful."