[19]

.

XXX [Castiel] XXX

"C'mon Claire, were going for a drive, you'd like that. Let's go, baby." I picked up Claire and her bag I had packed before bed and carried them downstairs. I set finished the letter to Dean and laid a single pink rose on top. I checked and made sure I had everything before getting Claire in the car.

I made sure her seat was fasted in good, just in case. I got in and started the car and backed out the drive. Claire didn't wake up until we go on the highway right outside our neighborhood. "Daddy, where are we?" her voice was small and confused. "Were in the car, sweetie; we're on our way to see grandma." She nodded and woke up more, watching the lights outside the window. We came to a red light and I stopped. I checked on Claire quickly, she was drinking a juice I put in her cup holder in case she got thirsty on the way. The light turned green and I pulled into the intersection. The next part was a blur. I heard screeching and Claire screaming in the background. I saw lights coming towards me, and I froze. I did nothing but stare into the light and brace for impact.

"Sir, can you hear me? Squeeze my fingers if you can hear me." I opened my eyes slightly, the lights were blinding. He propped my head up slightly and proceeded with his basic protocol. "Sir, are you aware you were involved in a car accident?" he asked. "Yes, is my daughter okay?" is Claire okay? She was in the backseat, is she okay?" my consciousness kicked in and I began to panic. "Your daughter is fine. We pulled her out of the car first and we've already checked her, she has a few injuries, but nothing major. Listen, we have to take you to the hospital. Is there anyone we can call to alert them you're in the hospital, or that your daughter is okay?" he ran off more questions. "My husband, Dean. He- he's at home." My head began to feel light. That's when I saw blood and broken glass. I saw the bus on top of my car and I saw the bus riders being checked. I passed out before I could tell him more.

XXX [Dean] XXX

I pushed the car door open and ran for the desk. "Claire and Castiel Novak, I'm her father and his husband." Of course, she gave me a look like I was the scum of the earth but scrolled on her computer screen. "Room #369, third floor. As you get off the elevator, take the south wing and it should be on the left." She explained and went back to playing to playing some iPhone game. I huffed slightly but headed for the elevator.

'340, 350, 360, 63, 67, There!" I jogged down the hallway scanning the room numbers. I pushed the door open and everything was silent, except the beeping machine that makes me wants to hit things and say words I shouldn't. I saw him, and everything stopped. He had been cleaned up, but he had cuts and bruises all over him. He had bandages all over, he looked bad. It wasn't a few seconds later that a nurse walked in. "Ah, you must be the husband, Dean? I've been told to send the doctor down once you got here, so I'll be back with him in just a minute." And she disappeared just as quickly as she came in. but she didn't lie, she came back with a tall man just a minute later. "Dean, its good you're here." He shook my hand and got down to business. "Claire had minor injuries; just a few scrapes and bruises. Castiel on the other hand is in critical condition. The way the crash happened, he got hit directly, thus causing more damage. I really don't think you want me to read off this list here, but I'll sum it up. He has about a 20% survival rate at this point. He's been unconscious since the ambulance and we've done a lot to try to help. It just seems his body isn't responding to the treatment. I suggest you make the proper arrangements."

"C'mon Cas! You gotta wake up and tell me you're gonna make it. They think you can't make it, but I know you. You're stronger than this, and I need you. I need you, Cas. I can't do this without you." I gripped his hospital gown, sobbing into it. "We- We've been through much together, you and I." His hoarse voice barely audible. "Cas, you gotta tell me this isn't the end." My vision was blurred by tears welling up in my eyes. "I'm afraid it is, Dean. I don't have control. But I want you to know that no matter what happens; I love you so much, I'll never be able to tell you in words. I've loved you for so long, and I like to think that means something more than just time; because it does to me. You did something to me, for me, which nobody else would have or would have been able to; you took all of my broken pieces and mixed them with yours, and made a whole new puzzle. Were a better picture together, and I like the view. If this is the end, I'm glad I got to experience a great story, and with you." He broke out into a fit of coughs and spat up a little blood. "No, you can't leave me like this. You're the only thing I've got." And that's when the tears dropped like rain in a thunderstorm; it was so hard to see Cas like this. "You have Claire, and you'll always have me by your side, physically or not. I will always be here when you need me, weather you know that or not. You've made me a better person; through the years you've put me back together, but as a new model. I don't want to think about what would've happened if you hadn't come over that day all those years ago. All I know is that if I don't make it, you have to move on. I don't want you to be sad forever, or let my death hold you down; I want you to work things out within yourself and get on with your life."

It was 9:03 am, and Cas' hands became stiff, his eyes drained of light, and I lost my husband. After almost twelve years, I lost him, and in the most painful way possible. Claire didn't know yet, and I didn't want to tell her. I called Cas' mom, and she flew down right away. She didn't get here until it was all over, and she blamed me for everything. She yelled at me in the middle of the silenced hallways, 'You did this, you killed my son!' or 'This is your entire fault, he shouldn't have had to leave because of you.' And she was right. If I hadn't been an ass that day, Cas wouldn't have left in the middle of the night and he would still be in my arms in bed. Things only got worse as the day went on. They kept Claire in a room just to make sure she was okay and she wasn't going to develop any brain damage or they didn't miss anything. It was then that his father arrived.