A Treacherous Task

"What's your name, child?" Kamilah sat upon an assortment of pillows and crossed her legs, never once did her stare leave Amunet's face.

"Amunet, you Highness." Bowing low, the slave resisted making eye contact and allowed herself to be judged in the silence of the room. The consort nodded her head and took a sip of her wine, running her tongue over her red lips. 

"What a beautiful name," Kamilah said. "Now that you mention it, I've heard that name many times dripping from the lips of doctors and priests and even viziers. A slave named after a Goddess who's said to be so beautiful she's worth a thousand stars. What's even more special is when she dances. It's said she can captivate any man who witnesses it and that even Amun himself comes to see her dance."

Amunet raised her head. The consort was no longer looking at her but had her gaze fastened outside the window. For a moment, her beauty returned in the rays of light and her features were soft and dignified. She slowly turned her head back to Amunet and shadows cast themselves among her face. Her eyes no longer seemed as bright, nor her cheeks as filled. She appeared more hollow as if she'd been starved for years. 

"I'm glad they brought you to me," Kamilah said taking another drink of wine before rising from her seat. She strolled across the room and refilled her glass before turning back to the slave. "I have a task for you to complete, Amunet."

"How may I serve you, your Highness?" Kamilah smiled. She extended the refilled goblet of wine to Amunet who stared puzzled at the consort. 

"You are going to kill the Pharaoh for me."