Slave Trade Secrets

Chuma seemed in a terrible hurry. He was breathing incredible hard and sweat spilled down the back of his neck like a waterfall. His grip on Amunet's wrist was painful and tight, causing her shoulder joint to jerk painfully and for her flesh to turn scarlet. He dragged her steadily away from the palace until the scenery around her became unfamiliar. The thickness of the city receded and eventually Amunet's found herself standing in front of a small tavern like house. 

Chuma pulled her inside quickly and practically threw her to the ground, or really, the feet of an individual sitting on a chair. Amunet raised her head until her violet eyes came connected to deep brown ones that were both cold and menacing.  

"What is this?" The man asked in a deep and scruffy voice. Chuma backed away slightly and fidgeted uncontrollably. 

"You told me to inform you of any slaves in the palace who weren't traded or sold by you. You also said to bring them to you if they didn't have a name or a permant resident." It was then that it clicked for Amunet. She mentally cursed herself for her stupidity. Teremun always gives names to all the slaves. If Chuma is dealing slaves into Egypt they also would have some sort of way to keep track of all of them. If suddenly a slave appeared out of no where, nameless, and whose origins were unknown of course one would be suspicious. Amunet didn't have long to dwell on her mistake before a hand fisted into her hair and yanked her head forward. 

"Really?" The gruff man breathed. His breath smelled like alcohol and a thin scar etched across his cheek. He turned Amunet's head from side to side examining her. "You most defiantly weren't sold by me. Someone as beautiful as you wouldn't have belonged to anyone but me."

Amunet cringed but didn't dare move. She needed more information. 

"Who do you belong to, gorgeous?" The man asked again. Amunet's eyes narrowed and she glared at the man who seemed to be inching closer to her with every breath. "With no name means you don't belong to Pharaoh and I don't recognize you either, so who's your master?"

Amunet's mouth hung open trying to find some sort of excuse or explanation but nothing was coming to mind. The man narrowed his dangerous eyes and his jaw set into a firm line. With one fluid motion his hand cam striking across her face. Amunet refused to let the painful tears spring from her eyes. She cupped her cheek and turned back to look at the man who has stood up. He towered over Amunet and seemed to encompass the entire room. He struck out another hand and the blow had Amunet reeling back to the ground. A foot slammed into her stomach and air ripped itself from her lungs. Blood dripped from her nose and she felt like a rip or two were probably broken. He hit her several more times until her body seemed to crumble in on itself. 

"Lael, what are you doing?" Chuma suddenly screeched. The man turned to Chuma and appeared irritated.

"You really are a fool to not see it." Lael rubbed a hand over his face and grabbed Amunet by her hair raising her into the air. "If she doesn't belong to Pharaoh and she doesn't belong to us, that means she must belong to a third party. Either someone's trying to sneak past us and steal our profit or she's a spy. Either way she's messing with our business and needs to be removed."

Fear speared itself through Amunet and her body began shaking uncontrollably as Lael dropped her to the ground. Tears mixed with sweat as it ran down her face. She didn't dare look at Lael who'd removed a sword from behind his chair. Amunet stared at the ground and halfheartededly cursed herself for picturing Teremun's face as the blade came swinging down on her. A soft smile played on her lips as she shut her eyes and awaited death. 

----

So what do you think? 

Sorry for the long wait but I hope you liked this chapter! I'll be sure to update quickly 😉