The Handsome Doctor

Amunet woke in an unfamiliar room. She wasn't lying on the ground anymore but the scent of blood still clung to her skin and clouded her senses. She tried to shift herself and to sit up but pain shot through her sides and ached all over her body. She felt a hand across her stomach and came in contact with a soft fabric wrapped tightly around her. It was clear someone had given her medical treatment and had done a fairly decent job.

She managed to rotate her head and look around the room she was currently in. It became clear it wasn't a poor house owner but someone of status and prestige. She noticed the royal red carpet and the expensive artifacts that littered every open space. The faint smell of flowers and medicine hung in the air but Amunet barely noticed it. Amunet rotated again and gritted her teeth when the pain stung her groin again.

"You shouldn't try to move." Amunet looked towards the voice and watched a European doctor stroll into the room. His blonde hair and blue eyes were extremely startling and utterly beautiful. Amunet had never seen someone with such pale skin and the contrast with her own was bewildering.

"Where am I?" She asked looking around and once again trying to sit up. The European outstretched his hand and forced her to lay back down. Seeing him up closer was even stranger for Amunet. He really was beautiful. So beautiful that Amunet desperately wanted to reach a hand out and touch him.

"You are in the palace," he answered her as he began checking her bandages. Amunet raised an eyebrow in confusion. She was almost positive she was dead. Also, she was so far out of the city that it was highly unlikely that anyone would find her. The man glanced at Amunet from the corner of his eye and smiled. "I brought you here. I was getting some medicine from a clerk who was in Heliopolis and on my way back I stumbled upon you. My name is Eugene Mercier, by the way. I work here."

Amunet nodded her head and looked down at the damage of her body.

"How bad is it?" Eugene frowned at her question and turned away from her. He poured himself something to drink along with some water for her. Amunet took it gratefully and downed it hastily.

"You broke some ribs and it looks like you have a concussion. Your right ankle is also sprained and you still have a high fever." Eugene looked over at Amunet again and a sadness crept behind his eyes. "Unfortunately, the injuries to you abdomen caused you to miscarry. From what I could see you were about sixteen weeks along so I'm not surprised if you didn't know you were pregnant."

Amunet felt herself go cold. The air in her lungs seemed to freeze and she felt her hands begin shaking. Beads of sweat broke out on her body and her breathing became harsh and jagged.

"I was pregnant?" Amunet found herself asking. Eugene nodded solemnly. Amunet placed a hand over her stomach. She'd felt different the past few weeks but it never crossed her mind that'd she'd been pregnant. Pregnant with Pharaoh's child. Her eyes immediately shot back to Eugene. "What was it?"

The question seemed to hang in the air for eternity. Eugene seemed puzzled by her question but slowly he realized what she was asking. He looked towards the ground and sighed.

"It was a boy."