Serena and the Maze

Serena scowled. It was a maze. What was she supposed to find in the maze? This is why she didn't like mazes.

She went down a path. Dead end. Her scowl deepened.

Why did Max have to make her do his dirty work? They were supposed to be friends. Yeah, she was his employee but he was treating her like a servant. She didn't like it.

Serena clenched her fists as she thought. She had been friends with Max ever since she was born. She was raised in the Dark Realm.

Serena had never known her parents. Max's grandfather King Natic had told her what happened to them. They had abandoned the Dark Realm along with her because they sensed that she had dark energy.

Max became her friend at a young age. He was sweet and happy back then. Max usually kept to himself and read books. People treated him like royalty and he treated them with respect. But then people kept telling him that he was going to be king one day. Serena guessed that over years of hearing that he got a little pompous. Scratch that. He became very pompous and cold.

Stop thinking about this! Serena thought.

"You were abandoned by everyone. Your parents were the firsts. They didn't love you. You only had Max. He was your only friend. Now look at him. He only wants power, he doesn't see your feelings for him." Serena looked around. Who had said that? It wasn't her.

She started to run through the maze. She heard footsteps. It was her shadow following her. Normally, her shadow followed her, but right now it was different. It was as if it had a mind of it own.

"What the?" Serena questioned.

"Serena, listen to yourself. Listen to the darkness. Give in. Your heart is just as wicked as the Realm is accused of being. You will never get the love that you crave! Give up." It said. Serena kicked the wall where the shadow was.

"Like that's going to do anything." It scoffed. "Why are you really doing this, Serena?"

"Doing what?" She asked.

"Why are trying to get this ring?" It questioned.

"Max wants me to. I'm just following orders."

"You realize that if you get this ring and Max marries this girl she'll get all his attention, right? Stop taking orders from people. This Lilly girl doesn't deserve Max's love. She probably had a full life. She has a family and friends, why does she deserve Max as well?"

"Leave me alone." She started to run again. She stopped when she realized that she was at a dead end.

"Stop trying to run from yourself, Serena. Except it, you were meant to be bad. Maybe if you except it things will finally go your way." Her shadow told her.

"Just because I'm from the Dark Realm doesn't mean I'm evil." Serena told her shadow, trying to convince herself.

"They're standing in your way of being happy. Max, Lilly, you're parents; they don't know how it feels to be abandoned, to go unloved. Take revenge. Maybe you'll get the life you've always dreamed off if you listen to me." Her shadow seemed to grow angry.

"You say maybe too often for my tastes." Serena turned around.

"Think about it okay?" Her shadow fell limp, acting like a normal shadow once more.

Serena noticed where she was. She was at the edge of the maze with three doors in front of her. Choose, very, and carefully. She flung the middle one open and rushed in.

--------------------------------------------
This was a weird chapter, but a necessary one. Why was Serena's shadow talking to her? Did her parents really abandon her or was it something else? Tell me what you think the answers to these questions are. If you want to give me a leaf I'm totally cool with that but it's not necessary. Thanks, bye!