Something in the Shadows

She was alone in the middle of a field. She was dressed in a rich, silver dress. One by one her friends started to appear only to be struck down like in the mirror she had seen in the tomb. Jade and Luke were the only ones who weren't there. She fell to her knees. There was the sound of shattering glass and Lilly's arm started to bleed. Out of nowhere the field disappeared and suddenly she was in a maze, lost and alone. She started running trying to find someone, anyone. She turned a corner to see a shocked looking Jade standing there.

"Jade!" Lilly exclaimed sounding relieved. She stretched her arms out to Jade. The younger girl started coughing up blood and collapsed in her sister's arms dead. "No!" Lilly cried. She collapsed to the ground still clutching her sister's lifeless body. The entire maze disappeared leaving Lilly to feel a sensation of falling. When she landed she was on top of the Eiffel Tower and Luke was there just like last time. He was about to say something when Max snuck up behind him and ran him through with a sword. Blood started to stain his shirt. Luke toppled over the edge.

Lilly woke with a gasp. She had been having the same nightmare every night for two weeks, since she arrived in the realm, and tonight was no exception. It had been keeping her from getting a good night sleep.

Lilly got out of bed and looked in the mirror. She no longer was quite as beautiful as she once had been. Her skin was a white as snow and there were dark circles under her eyes. Her once hopeful and brilliant blue eyes had lost its luster. Her lips looked as if they hadn't smiled in years. Her hair was a mess thanks to so many sleepless nights. Almost all color had drained from her face. She looked more sick rather than pretty.

What the heck happened to me? Have I given up hope? I am I just going to sit back and let this happen to me? What am I going to do? Lilly questioned herself. I'm not going to give up yet. I can't give up. There's got to be a way. Lilly attempted to convince herself. She felt completely hopeless. Just check the library a little more! You can't give up! She tried to encourage herself.

Once more Lilly found herself in the library. She had almost given up hope. Lilly had read books upon books with information about the Dark Realm but all had told her that her only hope had been the rings.

In the past two weeks Lilly had started losing a lot of sleep. She had nearly became obsessed with finding some hope. All she wanted was to get back home with her friends and family. She would stay up reading and reading books to find anything that could help her... And to put off having to face the nightmares. Every night she was plagued by the same horrid nightmare.

The library didn't seem to have anything she could use. "The History of Light and Dark, no that won't have anything. The Tradition of Magic, no I already read that one." Lilly read off the titles as she debated whether or not it was worth her time. She picked up a book with a blank, red cover.

"It doesn't have a title... Why?" Lilly asked aloud. Suddenly the book's cover started to glow. "What the?" It stopped glowing leaving the imprint of a golden lily. She grazed her right hand across it, awestruck. As soon as she touch it there was a slight rumbling sound. Lilly looked around. It was the book shelf in front of her. It sank into the ground. Lilly gaped.

The bookshelf revealed a hidden room. As soon as she stepped inside the shelf put itself back into its proper place. Lilly looked around the room. It was small and round with ancient book shelves lining the walls. In the middle was a single podium with one book. She went to grabbed it.

The book was worn by age. The title was The Queen's Curse. Lilly opened to the beginning.

The Queen's Curse is the name of the spell used to bind a pure hearted girl to the prince who chooses her. It is a ritual that can take anywhere between a second and a couple minutes. Usually the girl and the prince exchange their hands before the incantation is spoken but if is a forceful binding then the prince will probably whisper the spell.

This was exactly what she was looking for. Lilly let a small smile grace her lips. There had to be something in her. Lilly, unable to contain her excitement, jumped.

"What are you so happy about, girl?" A voice hissed. Lilly froze. She had been under the impression that the room was empty of people besides herself.

"Whoever you are, I'm warning you! I'm armed." Lilly held the book up in defense.

A shadow crept up the wall. "I'm not afraid of you or your book." The voice told her.

"Who are you?" Lilly asked.

"How rude of me." The shadow bowed. "King Celion. It's a... Pleasure to meet you."

Lilly gave it a suspicious look. "Shouldn't you be dead?" She asked.

"Ah but you see, my dear, I am dead."

Lilly gasped. "You're a ghost?"

"Right on point! I guess you're smarter than you look." The shadow made its way to Lilly quickly. She glared at it.

"What do you want?" She snapped.

"I've got everything I want. I just need you and your little boyfriend to stay out of my way." Celion told her.

"I don't even know what you're talking about." Lilly hissed.

"And that's the way it's supposed to be. You see being dead has a lot of advantages... At least for me. It's not common to become a ghost like this. I can see into this realm as well as your realm. Your friends are going to be trouble, I know that for sure. But I've got you where I want you, Max is in place, Serena could use some work... Point is that all my chess pieces are getting to their proper places. And there's nothing you can do." Celion explained. Lilly glared even more.

"I have no clue what you're talking about but I can tell you're up to no good." She said.

"Quite the opposite. What I am doing is very good... For me at least."

"Why are you here right now? Why are you telling me this?" Lilly asked. It didn't make a sense to her.

"Oh I don't know. I know that you can't do anything about it and I wanted to meet you for myself. I know a lot about you. Your friends miss you terribly, you know, especially the short brunette girl and the skinny blond boy. Max talks about you as well. He thinks you're such a nuance."

"I'm not too fond of him either." Lilly grumbled.

"I don't see you as a nuance. You're a pawn. This is a game of chess. Who knows what will happen to you in the future? Right now you're under my control. Good luck trying to get your life back. It's gone and soon you're friends will be too if they don't play the game right." The shadow slid over to the wall across from her.

"Is this all a game to you?" Lilly hissed. The shadow laughed.

"It is just a game but with some great rewards." The shadow disappeared as the voice faded out. Lilly stood confused. What had just happened?