Lilly and Luke

From inside the magical enchantment Lilly and Serena watched the battle begin. Serena smiled as she noticed a certain nerdy, blond running around like a doofus on the battle field.

"Isn't that Luke?" Serena asked knowing full well that it was. Lilly began to look worried.

"Luke, what are you doing?" She mumbled softly. "Please don't get yourself killed. I don't know what I would do if you died." Lilly was completely focused on Luke. From the moment she saw him on the field her eyes didn't leave her best friend.

She wanted to be out there fighting. She wanted to help. She didn't want to be stuck in the position of damsel in distress. She wished she could do something to help.

A hazy memory flooded her mind. It was random and she hadn't thought about it in years but it was an important one.

Lilly spotted a kid who was dangling his legs off the wobbly bridge at the park. He was all by himself.

"Hi, I'm Lilly." She stuck out her hand and smiled at the boy. He had messy, golden blond hair, green eyes, and had freckles across the bridge of his nose. He was wearing a blue shirt that said A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... He gave her a questioning look.

"My mom told me not to talk to strangers." He said to her.

"I'm not a stranger. I'm Lilly." She grinned sweetly. The boy gave in and smiled back.

"I'm Luke." He told her.

Her heart rate sped up at the memory. It was the idea that the little boy was now grown up and was in over his head in a battle he shouldn't be involved in in the first place. If something were to happen to him it would be all her fault. Lilly was honestly worried for his life.

Serena looked at her twin. The look on Lilly's face clearly showed her fear and concern for the boy.

"Lilly, I'm sure Luke will be fine." Serena said even though she didn't really believe herself. She didn't know Luke, really at all, so how was she supposed to know if he could deal with it?

Lilly just nodded, her eyes still on the boy. He was running towards them now. As he got closer Lilly worried that he would run into the enchantment.

"Watch out!" Lilly exclaimed, but of course he couldn't hear her. Luke ran smack into the protective enchantment. Lilly winced. "Ooh that had to hurt." She mumbled.

He clung to the enchantment's outer wall, instead of collapsing on the ground. Lilly wished she could help him shake it off. She ran up to the wall and pressed her body against it. She placed her hands where his were, which was tricky with the hand cuffs.
She looked at him with a look that could only be identified as longing. She missed him terribly and this was the closest they had been since she had been kidnapped. He had found her like he promised that he alway would. Yet they were still separated by a wall of magic. Lilly hated it.

Luke looked at the invisible force in front of him with a look of confusion. There was definitely something there but it wasn't something he could see, only feel. Realization hit Luke like a train. This was where Serena said she and Lilly would be. It was slightly off the battle field and they were clearly guarded by magic. Luke didn't have to much longer to think about it though because he remembered he was being chased. He turned around.

The pale soldier that had been following him swung his sword aiming for Luke's neck. Luke ducked just in time and took off running.

Lilly sighed sadly. She couldn't do anything to help but that's all she wanted to do. If anything were to happen to any of her friends, especially Luke, she wouldn't know what to do with herself. It would be all her fault.

"You really care about him, don't you?" Serena asked after giving one look at her sister's face.

"Yeah I do." Lilly finally said those special words she refused to say on her wedding day. "I don't know how to express how I feel about him. He's been my partner in crime, my best friend for thirteen years. I know him better than anyone else. If something were to happen to him, I would just lose it. I'd lose everything."

Serena gave her a look of disbelief. "Oh come on. You're exaggerating just a little don't you think?"

Lilly turned to look at the dark haired girl. "No I'm not. You wouldn't understand." Lilly shook her head.

"Explain it then." Serena commanded.

Lilly thought about it. "Have you ever cared so much for someone that you would do anything just to make them happy? When you care more about what happens to them than you do about yourself?" Serena shook her head. She had never had someone to feel that way about. "Well that's how I feel about Luke." Lilly smiled slightly before remembering that there was a possibly deadly battle going on.

Serena frowned slightly. Suddenly she cared a lot whether or not the scrawny boy survived. She hadn't wanted him to die of course but now she had been moved to actually care if he survived. She had read books where the main characters felt what Lilly felt about Luke. From Lilly's short speech Serena came to an interesting conclusion. Lilly was in love with Luke... And didn't realize it.