33: Trying

"And they all lived happily ever after" I read. I was sitting next to Lucy on my bed. I decided she should get some sleep. Winter was curled up beside Lucy and was snuggling into her side. I finished reading the story of Cinderella and turned towards Lucy who looked like she was about to fall asleep. I tucked a piece of hair behind her ear before tucking her in.
"Good night kiddo" I said smiling.
"Wait" Lucy's small voice said before I could leave the room.
"Hmm?" I asked.
"You and Steve are the only ones who have ever showed me love" she said her blue eyes twinkling in the light of the bedside lamp.
"Get some sleep. It's been a long day for both of us" I said smiling before getting up and leaving the room. I closed the door slowly and then walked out to see Steve in his suit and his shield on his back.
"Going after him?" I asked.
"He has Bucky. I have no choice" Steve said.
"Don't give him what he wants. My father will only cause a problem if Adam gets a hand on him. But be careful" I said walking over.
"You stay here with Lucy. Thea and Arianna are staying here too. But they'll be upstairs if you need them. Bruce will stay here too only if it's not coed green" Steve said but then he sneezed and I decided to do the only thing that I could.
"God bless America" I smirked.
"Not you too!" He said, "Nat and Sam do the same thing."
"I hang around Nat and Emma too much" I said smiling.
"Stay safe okay. We'll be back soon" Steve said. For all I knew this would be the last time I'd see Steve. But that wouldn't happen.
"Steve" I said before he left. He turned around to face me, "I l-love you." His face turned red for a moment before he responded.
"Wow. Uh... I love y-you too" he said making a small smile creep onto my face.
"Go kick some butt" I said with a small salute before he ran into the elevator and gave me a salute in return. The doors closed and I let out a sigh. Lucy was probably asleep so I decided to watch a movie. I sat there and watched 2 movies. Soon I heard my bedroom door open and Lucy came walking out rubbing her eye tiredly. She was wearing one of Steve's shirts because she doesn't really have any clothes. I decided to look for some of Alison's old clothes and ended up finding a few things.
"Hey kid. Everything okay?" I asked.
"I had a nightmare" she said.
"About what?" I asked as she climbed onto the seat beside me with Winter behind her.
"Steve. He was like a puppet on strings. He was being controlled. His eyes were icy blue and terrifying" she explained. It sounded like the mind controlling scepter my father has.
"That would never happen, Lucy. Steve would fight back" I said.
"You wanted to know what Hydra did to me, right?" She asked and I nodded, "the needles and the same scepter gave me powers. I can dream the future."
"You were an enhanced" I said and she nodded in response. This meant that Steve in the future could be controlled by the scepter, "what else happened in the dream?"
"Steve hurt you" she said with tears in her eyes.
"That will never happen. You can warn him ahead of time when he gets back" I said.
"You don't understand! It'll happen tonight on their mission. Adam has Loki's scepter!" She explained with fear across her features. I shared the same expression.
"JARIVS?! Get in contact with the Avengers! Now!" I yelled.
"Right away, Jade" JARIVS said as I stood up and picked up Lucy. I carried her over to the elevator with Winter following behind us. The doors closed and I pushed the button.
"What else did Hydra do?" I asked.
"I have something called telekinesis" she said pronouncing it wrong. The doors opened and we ran to the lab. Thea and Arianna were in the lab with Bruce. Me, Lucy and Winter rushed in.
"They're in trouble!" I said out of breath. Bruce's eyes widened and he ran over to computer.
"They connection has been disabled!" Bruce said.
"Oh no" I said running my hand through my dark hair. Lucy clung onto my leg and buried her face into my side. I rubbed her head softly as I began to worry. I wondered what would happen. How would Steve hurt me? How would I get him out of being under control? Last time he hit me in the head really hard. That would help. I walked out of the lab and down the hallway. Lucy and Winter followed after me. We got into the elevator and I broke down in tears.
"Everything will be fine. But I fear that someone will get injured. It could kill them" Lucy said.
"Who?" I asked.
"I don't know his name yet but he seems terrified that he is there" she explained.
"Peter" I mumbled, "what will happen to Steve?"
"You'll hit him on the head hard enough to knock him out of the control" she said as we arrived back down to our floor. Winter ran into the room ahead of us and jumped onto the couch.
"We need to be prepared. I want you out of harms way" I said.
"That's not up to you. I'm helping" she said. She really did resemble me in many ways.
"I don't want you getting hurt" I said.
"Don't worry. I have a plan" She said. Oh boy.
After awhile Natasha came onto our floor when they returned. Lucy was asleep in my bedroom. I told her she needed rest. I stood up once Nat came into the room with Emma behind her. "Steve is under Loki's control" Nat said.
"But we met someone who wants to see you" Emma said.
"Who?" I asked as a man who I haven't seen in years walked out of the elevator. A gasp escaped my lips as I stared at him in disbelief, "Matthew?"