Callbacks

Chapter 4: Callbacks

"Who did you read for?" Melissa asked.

"The enchantress," Julia said. "I have the perfect face for it but it doesn't require too much acting. It might have singing though!" she added. "Benedict is considering for me to sing for the sound track."

"You should have read for a bigger role," Melissa said. "You could have played a much bigger part."

Julia sighed. "Not really," she said. "I may have been in the industry longer than you but you are a much better actress. I was shifting more toward music these days anyways," she told Melissa.

"You don't want to act anymore?" Melissa asked.

Julia rested her chin on her propped up elbow.

"Don't get me wrong, I love acting," Julia paused. "But I've discovered this connection with music. I know plenty of singers who rock both worlds but I don't really know which I should pursue more."

Melissa nodded. "Are you still with Danny?" she asked.

Julia rolled her eyes. "We weren't ever technically together," she said. "It's just an image for the press. I don't think we've actually had a real conversation outside of the studio before."

"Why don't you set everyone straight then?"

Julia poured herself a glass of champagne. "My publicist says it will ease me into the circles if I'm with Danny."

"But don't you feel horrible?"

"Not really... We're friends in the studio and acquaintances outside. It's just an act. It's not a big deal."

Melissa nodded, pretending to understand.

"What about you?" Julia asked, leaning closer. "I heard Ryan Francis was reading for Derek. Maybe you'll get Marina and he'll get Derek!" she squealed.

Melissa rolled her eyes. "I don't even know him."

"Have you seen Crossroads?" Julia asked. "He's gorgeous."

"I've seen a little bit," Melissa said.

"He's so charming," Julia stated.

Melissa shrugged. "He doesn't seem to really like me," she told Julia. "I ran into him when I was out this one day and then at the audition. He kept telling me to quit."

"What?!" Julia exclaimed. "He told you to quit?!"

"Well, he said I wasn't tough enough for this industry," Melissa explained. "He thinks I'll crack under the pressure. I guess it was more like a recommendation that I get out of this world as soon as I can."

Julia snorted. "It's not like he's worried about you stealing his parts," she said. "Maybe he doesn't want to compete with anyone in the spot light."

"He doesn't seem like that kind of person,"

"Oh Melissa..." Julia chided. "No one is at they seem. Don't be fooled so easily."

"Maybe, this isn't right for me..." Melissa muttered.

Julia squeezed Melissa's hand. "You're just new," she reassured her. "Once you understand how we function, you'll fit right in besides what a waste of talent if you don't."

"Thanks," Melissa replied, squeezing her friend's hand back.

"I got a gym session in half an hour," Julia said. "Feel free to hang around if you want."