The Crack of Dawn

Chapter 13: The Crack of Dawn

No one said the life of an actress was easy. Melissa and the cast were up before the sun was even up. It was still dark outside when Katie and Erin came in to do her hair and makeup.

"Melissa," Katie scolded. "Open your eyes more! I have to get your eyeliner to look natural."

Melissa tried to force her sleepy eyes open. "Sorry. I'm tired."

"That isn't what you should be saying," Krysti said, walking into her trailer with a tray of coffees. "Here," she said, handing Melissa a Styrofoam cup.

"Thanks," Melissa said, wrapping her hands around it. It was a bit chilly so early in the morning.

Krysti turned on the lights to make the place brighter. "Make sure you contour her face," she instructed. "They're going to be blasting light at her in a few shots. I don't want her features to get washed out."

"I got it," Katie said, pulling out a brush.

Melissa got changed into her costume. This was a new costume. When she tried it on, it had been one of the dozen "extra" dresses. It was a burgundy color with long sleeves. The sleeve edges were pointed. A tiny elastic loop was worn over Melissa's middle finger so the triangle of fabric stayed on the back of her hand. The burgundy suede was then hand beaded with tiny bronze beads in floral patterns.

"I like this one a lot," Krysti said, straightening out the skirt that also had the beads.

"I do too," Melissa agreed. "This color is really pretty."

"We have to get going," Krysti said. "Erin, do you have Melissa's cloak?"

"Yup," Erin said, holding up a garment bag. "The helicopter will be here soon," she added, hearing it in the distance.

Today's scene is where they discover that winter was over. The Riders and Marina hike out to the top of a hill and look at how the entire land was filled with life. The grass was green and the sun was coming out from among the hills which was why everyone was up so early. Benedict wanted to get the footage at sunrise.

The helicopter landed them on the set which was by a forest edge. Everyone actually had to hike a little bit to get to the actual set because it was in the forest. Benedict wanted to minimalize the damage done to the exquisite nature so everyone not directly needed was told to wait outside of the forest.

"This is beautiful," Benedict said, looking around as the crew set up the cameras. "We made it just in time. The sun is just rising. You see this golden glow everything has?" he asked no one in particular. "It's perfect. Are we ready yet?!" he yelled. "I need Riders and Marina on set."

"Wow," Regina marveled when Melissa stepped forward.

"What?" Melissa asked.

"Your dress. Move again,"

Melissa took another step. "Wow..." she agreed. Every step she took, the soft sunlight refracted off the beads and cast glimmering gold lights against the green leaves.

"You can admire it when we're done filming," Benedict said. "Derek, Marina, Luke, Rider 1 and 2. I need you standing here. Derek is first," Benedict said. "You're leading the group but Marina is going to cut in front of you when you get closer to the opening. Hurry, don't let the sun rise all the way!"