The Red Rider Project

Chapter 3: The Red Rider Project

Melissa spent an entire day reading the script and it really sucked her in. It was about the fall of a kingdom called Tristal into the hands of evil. The Dark King slayed the rightful king, King Eowen, and then plundered the nation, leaving it to die. The Dark King used his power as king to summon a powerful enchantress who promised him power if he could hold off spring and keep the land forever a winter desert. She also promised him immorality except his Achilles heel was that the only way he could die was by the hand of rightful royal blood. The Dark King did not fear though. He'd ended the royal linage...so he thought.

The day King Eowen was defeated, his Queen gave birth to a daughter, Princess Anastasia Odette Eowen of Tristal. The Queen was a very intelligent woman and faked her daughter's death. Her lady in waiting, Martha Cleo then took the princess and ran far away. For sixteen years, no one heard from the Princess. The Princess herself grew up as a common peasant girl, Marina Cleo, without knowing her true birth.

The people only heard rumors that she was still alive. The Dark King started becoming paranoid and announced for every sixteen year old in the land to be killed. Martha hears the news and quickly tells Marina her history and then tells her to run. Martha, however, warns Marina to stay on the main road.

Marina escapes just in time but runs into the forest when she sees the soldiers on the road. In the forest, she's attacked by a huge wolf but is saved by a group of Riders. She's taken back to their camp. Marina learns that there are still people wanting to fight against the Dark King. These soldiers were both men and women known as Riders. They've hid deep in the forest for years and are plotting an ultimate rebellion. The leader of the rebels are Derek Faramir and Cypress Lunar. Derek befriends Marina and ends up finding out her secret. Cypress on the other hand isn't as friendly. She mostly keeps to herself and is only close to Derek. Marina and Cypress get into several heated discussions about the rebellion and it usually ends in Cypress knocking Marina to the ground.

Derek sees Marina crying by the river and offers to teach her how to fight. Marina is doubting herself. She knows that she's supposed to be the one leading this war but she can't imagine how she's going to be any use. Derek encourages her and Marina finally starts to believe in herself. Once her confidence returns, there are small signs of winter fading. Spring was coming...

When Melissa finished the last page, she was speechless. She wanted the character Marina Cleo. Cypress Lunar was a great character but Marina Cleo...This character had a huge range of emotions and Melissa was determined to capture that air of power she felt radiating out of Marina in the script. Marina was so different than Jackie. Jackie Sparrow was a bit arrogant and a lot tougher but Marina started as this innocent girl who had to live up to being a Queen.

Melissa got off her couch and stretched out. She definitely felt empowered. With a quick change of clothes and a hat and sunglasses, Melissa was out of her suite.

She casually walked in the streets, trying to picture the world through Marina's eyes. Melissa pulled her hat down lower and continued walking. It was nice not to be recognized.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a child run into a large display by a store.

"Watch out!" Melissa screamed as she dove toward the boy.

She grabbed him and hit the ground. The shelf crashed down onto the sidewalk luckily not hitting anyone.

"Are you okay?" Melissa asked the boy.

The boy was crying but nodded. His mom came running over.

"Thank you so much," she said, hugging her child.