The New Queen

Chapter 22: The New Queen

Due to reconstruction and tweaks of the castle, the cast was given the weekend off. Friday morning, Melissa was flying back to LA. It felt so strange being back in her suite after so long. Melissa kicked off her shoes and flopped down on her couch.

Dinner was a chicken sandwich and orange juice. Melissa lounged on her sofa in sweatpants and a tank top as she watched TV. It was good to be home, even for three days.

The phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Mel," Gracie said. "Flip to channel 6!"

"Why?" Melissa asked as she grabbed her remote.

"You're on TV!"

"Oh," Melissa said as she saw the commercial. There she was on the screen, twirling and smiling in her Cover Girl commercial.

Easy. Breezy. Beautiful. Cover Girl....

"My friends all want me to tell you how beautiful you look," Gracie added. "They're huge fans."

"Oh," Melissa said. "Should I send you anything?"

"A few signed post cards and they might faint," Gracie informed her. "I'm pretty popular in school now but everyone expects me to act too."

"Do you want to?" Melissa asked.

"No," Gracie replied. "I prefer being behind the camera. I actually really like photography."

"I see," Melissa said, thoughtfully. "If you ever want to be a professional photographer, you can move to LA with me. There are so many things you could do here."

"Thank you, Mel," Gracie said. "I just turned eighteen. Perhaps I can come visit you sometime."

"Of course," Melissa said. "But be warned of the cameras."

"I'll be extra careful," Gracie agreed. "I'd like to attend your movie premiere so mom and I will probably fly out to see that."

"Of course," Melissa said. "I'll have Krysti get tickets. First class of course."

"Mom wants to talk to you."

"Okay,"

"Melissa!" Stephanie said. "How have you been doing? Tired?"

"Yeah," Melissa admitted. "But the movie is going great. Benedict has really outdone himself with this one."

"I can't wait to see it," Stephanie agreed. "You've been making quite a lot of headlines," she added.

"Still...?" Melissa asked, sighing. "I'm all the way in New Zealand."

"Of course it's about the movie. My, my daughter is co-staring with the famous Ryan Francis."

"And Jesse!" Gracie called.

"Oh right," Stephanie said. "I was so surprised to see that you two have reunited."

There was a pause.

"Is there something I should know?" Stephanie asked.

"Mom!" Melissa groaned. "You know Jesse has always been a friend to me."

"But my, that boy has grown up to be a very handsome man," Stephanie pointed out. "He was still so little when he would come over to our house."

"Yeah," Melissa agreed.

"Well, I'm sure you're busy," Stephanie said. "I'll see you soon, honey. I miss you."

"I miss you too."