New Zealand Offset

Chapter 10: New Zealand Offset

"We have an entire day off," Melissa said, excitedly. "I can't wait to check out New Zealand!"

"There's this huge casino we could check out," Vivian suggested.

Melissa looked at her brochure. "But don't you want to go hiking? White water rafting? Sky diving?"

"I hate sports," Julia pointed out. "Let's go check out the city. There's a ton of museums and shops. They filmed Lord of the Rings here too, did you know that?"

Melissa looked sadly at her plans. "I guess..."

"If you want," Julia said. "I'll do a hike with you later."

"It's okay," Melissa said, tossing the brochures on a picnic table. "The city will be cool too."

"Okay, awesome," Vivian said. "Let's get going then....maybe we should invite some other people like Mr. Hottie over there."

Melissa turned and blanched. Alec?!

"Let's not..." Melissa muttered.

"Hey Alec!" Vivian yelled. "What are you doing on your day off?!"

Alec looked over and smirked. "Why, you interested?"

"Care to share?" Vivian asked.

"Going to go sightseeing around the city and then try the sports here."

"Oh," Vivian said. "That's what we're doing too. Want to come with? Melissa has been looking for someone to do the rafting and stuff with."

"No, it's fine," Melissa interrupted. "I'll just go with you guys. We can go shopping," she quickly added, hoping that will convince them not to leave her with Alec.

"Okay, I'll grab Kyle. Let's all go together," Alec suggested.

"Perfect," Vivian said.

Melissa sighed and went along with everyone.

Ryan stretched out his arms. He didn't get what the fuss was all about. All he wanted to do was enjoy some peace and quiet on his day off. Everyone else was running to the city.

His foot stepped on something so Ryan bent over and picked it up. It was several brochures. It looked like Melissa's handwriting and circling on the paper.

"Hmm..." he said, pocketing them.

Maybe not so peace and quiet anymore...

"Wow, this tastes amazing," Julia said, nibbling her fish and chips.

Melissa chewed on hers as they went window shopping. It was hard to look at things when she had a pair of oversized Gucci sunglasses on her face.

"Are you bored?" Kyle asked.

Melissa looked up. "No," she lied.

"You're not talking very much,"

"I'm eating," Melissa said, holding up her carton of fish and chips.

"What do you think of Benedict?" Alec asked. "Compared to Jim Graph."

Melissa shrugged. "Jim Graph was very organized. Benedict makes it up as he goes. I feel bad for Regina..."

"Do you think they're together?" Kyle asked.

"Regina and Benedict?" Julia asked. "Impossible."