three

It's disturbingly amazing how you can feel yourself dying. The layer of sweat that is always covering my skin, bloody bruise cover my stomach, and the blood that covers my palm after a painful cough. I lay with my back against a tree, unable to move or control my own body.

After all I went through in my life, in my final moments I will be alone and in pain. I laugh at the irony and suddenly I am overcome with heavy coughing. I lean forward and spit the blood out of my mouth. I look up quickly when I hear foots steps. My breathing picks up speed, but I am unable to get up.

I wait for a group of Grounders to uncover themselves from the green trees and bushes, but that is not the case. I jump back when two people covered head to toe in blue hazmat suits appear in front of me. I notice they both have guns and that I am what both pairs of eyes are focused on. I quickly turn and start to crawl away, but I feel one of them grab my foot and I fall flat on my stomach.

I let out a scream as my presumed broken rib hits the hard ground. Another leans over me and I feel a prick on the side of my neck. My movement starts to lag, but before I lose control completely I reach my blade and turn over.

I quickly reach up and slice a line through one of the men's suites. He drops his gun and I can hear him struggle to breathe. As he falls onto his knees in pain, I feel my eyes close once again.

------------------------------
I jump up as my body suddenly comes to life again. I feel the restraints around my ankles and wrist as I try to pull them free. My heart races as I look wildly around the room I am currently in. The walls and floor are made completely of steel and besides a few small machines and a table next to me, the only other thing in the room is the cot I'm laying on.

Again I fiercely move my arms and legs to try and free them, ignoring the pain in my chest. I stop suddenly when I don't feel anything in my leg. Particularly any pain, not that I'm complaining. Although the last time I was conscious there was an arrow sticking out of my thigh.

I look down to notice it missing and my bare leg wrapped with a clean white bandage. I also notice that my body is free of any dirt or grim and my ripped clothes have been replaced. Instead, I am wearing a plain t-shirt and cotton shorts.

I feel my eyebrows draw close in confusion, but before I can try to make sense of anything I hear a loud door open behind me. Unable to turn and see who it is, I wait impatiently. 

"I see you've finally woken up." The sudden deep voice bounces off the metal walls and makes me tense up. The man finally reveals himself and stands in front of the table I am currently laying on. I quickly take in his looks, trying to find any possibility of escape. I notice he has dark hair and a twisted smirk on his face.

"Names Cage Wallace," he tells me taking a step closer. "And you're Elena. I'd like to thank you." I feel goosebumps cover my skin as he says my name. How the hell does he know my god damn name? I stare at him silently, not daring to utter a word.

"No questions?" His smirk grows and he starts to move around the room. "Well, I'll inform you anyways. You're in Mount Weather. We found you, alone and extremely pitiful. Did you realize you had 3 broken ribs, internal bleeding, and a poisoned arrow in your leg?"
I try my best not to show any reaction as he continues to speak.

Those injuries mean nothing when all the people I care about are gone. "Amazing people you are. You're pain tolerance must be excellently  high. And I'm going to test that." I feel my eyes grow bigger at the new information. My mind is racing, but I stare up at the ceiling wishing I was still able to see the stars.

"We're going to be testing a lot of things. My friend, Dr. Tsing, thinks you and your people are the answer to all our problems. Though I don't think we should involve the rest until we know for sure," I feel my blood run cold as his words. My breath catches in my throat and I try to stop my hopes from rising.

"The others?" My voice is raspy and strained making me wonder how long I've been out. I shake my head as he comes closer to me.

He bends down and I try not to flinch back from the proximity, "The 47..of your people. They are here inside the mountain." My mind doesn't register his words as I feel the tears start to pool in my eyes. The other 47? They're alive....

"You should rest up. The next couple of days are going to be pretty...draining." He nods sure of himself before leaving the room completely. I don't even feel fear as I realize that some of us made it out.

Some of the people I have lived with for the past months of my life, are out there. Alive and breathing. I slowly close my eyes and try to hold onto the thought.