Chapter Two: A Day Away

I couldn't fall asleep last night. I was thinking too much on the mission. I mean, why did they look so worried? New Years is just a day away now. I was more nervous about my mission than anything else. I went to my closet and picked out my outfit for the day. I went downstairs to eat but couldn't. I don't want to starve myself. The last time I did that, my brother started getting gray hairs. That's not normal for a 22 year old. My brother doesn't really live with us. He lives with his wife and daughter. My brother, Bryce was married to a girl named Angela. She very kind and pretty. They have a two year old daughter named Ryan. She is very beautiful, playful, kind, obedient, and very funny. I went downstairs and saw my brother. I was shocked to see him here. He looked pale or sick. He didn't have any color.

"Bryce, what's wrong? You look sick."

"I heard about your mission."

"Oh."

"You have to be very careful. Don't get distracted. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Don't worry. I'll be here for you whenever you need help."

"Thanks." He pulled me into a really big hug. He's never hugged me this tight before. "Bryce, Bryce."

"Yeah?"

"You're squeezing me too hard."

"Oh, sorry." He let me go, and I took a deep breathe. "Well, I have to go see you later."

"Bye. Tell, Ryan, hi for me."

"Alright," he said while laughing.

"What?"

"You two get along."

"Bye, Bryce."

"Bye." He left out the back door. He doesn't usually do that. I just brushed it off. I got an apple to eat on my way to school. As soon as I got there, I saw Sunny scrunched up in a corner, and she was blocked by Madison.

"Tell me, Sunny."

"I told you, I don't know." She was about to kick her, but I pulled her away on time.

"Leave her alone."

"What are you going to do about it?"

"Doesn't matter what I'm going to do, but you're going to leave. Now!"

"What if I don't want to?"

"Well, we're going to have a problem." Madison turned around and left. She knew I was right. I'm not usually right, but when I am, I am. "Hey, Sunny, are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"She didn't hurt you. Did she?"

"No."

"Good..." I saw her ready to cry,"...come here. It's going to be okay. Where's John and Elijah?"

"They haven't came yet."

"Okay. I thought they bailed. I was ready to have a stern talk with them." She began to chuckle.

"No, they didn't." The bell rang. Everyone began heading to their classes.

"Okay, time to go to class. See you at lunch?"

"Yeah."

"Sunny..."

"Yeah?"

"Take care of yourself."

"Okay." I went to my class. After a couple more classes, lunch came. I went to the cash register but didn't see Ms. Bakers. I began to get worried until I saw her face.

"Hey, Katelyn." She sounded sad.

"Hey, Ms. Bakers. You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just going through some stuff..." she said sadly,"..., but I'll get through it," she ended happily.

"That's the spirit."

"What will you have today?"

"Same."

"Okay, that will be $3.50." I handed her the money and met up with my friends.

"Hey, let's go eat outside."

"Okay." We began eating our food and enjoyed the scenery. We began to talk about our day. Sunny just began to cry. It was odd for her to cry. How do you think she got the name Sunny? She's always happy. Even when something gets her down, she happy. She's always knows how to look on the positive side.

"It's okay." We each gave her a huge hug and told her we were here for her. I didn't want her to feel forgotten. Speaking of forgotten, I forgot about my mission. Once I remembered, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't eat, work, think, or speak. Tomorrow I have my last day with my friends. I can only let them know that tomorrow is our last day. My mission is a just a day away now.

**********

Let me know what you think of this chapter in the comments.

~ Sophia📷