Chapter 2

The days following that dreadful day, Karlie didn't take very good care of herself. She'd been planning on spending her free days with Josh and with him out of the picture, she had nothing to do. There was really no way she could keep herself from feeling miserable, rethinking everything about the relationship she thought would last a long time. All of her friends were working too, so she couldn't use them to forget about the horrible ache in her chest. Then again, she didn't know if she wanted to face them in the condition she was in, they would ask her a million questions and she didn't think she was ready for those. All she had really done the past couple of days was lay in bed and occasionally eat something since she wouldn't get out of her bed unless it was absolutely necessary. She still hadn't shed any tears about what happened, but that might be because she'd dealt with this before.

At around 5 o'clock in the afternoon, Karlie decided to get something to eat, her stomach wouldn't stop rumbling. Dragging her feet across the floor, Karlie walked to the kitchen. The kitchen was a mess, yesterday she'd had a craving for chocolate but she didn't remember where she put it. She'd turned her whole kitchen upside down during her search, but after she had found the chocolate she hadn't had the motivation to clean it up. Slightly shocked by the extensiveness of the mess, Karlie stood frozen for a few seconds. Shrugging, she stepped over a few utensils laying on her kitchen floor and opened the fridge. She decided she just wanted yoghurt and was back in her bed in no time.

Trying to kill time by watching the TV, Karlie decided to watch an episode of Law and Order. Crime shows always managed to take Karlie's mind off of whatever was going on in her life and she hoped it would work again. She enjoys coming up with theories about who did it, but was wrong almost every time. She always promises herself that she won't try again because she'll never be right, but each time ends up breaking her own promise.

Her plan to take her mind off of things didn't work this time, however, because the episode was about a guy who'd cheated on his wife and was later found murdered. Frustrated by the turn of events, Karlie grabbed the remote and threw it at a wall. This, quite obviously, wasn't a smart idea and the thing was smashed to pieces. 'Great, now I have to buy a new remote, too' Karlie thought to herself, sighing loudly in frustration.

She starts to gather all of the pieces together, but is disturbed by frantic knocking on her door. Karlie looks towards the door with a quizzical expression on her face. She hadn't been expecting visitors, so she had no idea who was at her door, knocking like an crazy person.

"Karlie, we know you're in there," she hears a familiar voice, "open the damn door, or I'll use my ninja skills to kick it open!"

"Karlie you should really open the door," another familiar voice starts, "we both know she'll follow up on that promise and trust me, you don't want to go shopping for a new door!"

"Give me five minutes," Karlie screams back, "have some patience, god!"

She really should have expected it to be them. She doesn't know anybody else who would knock that frantically and she knew they'd be in town, so it is quite logical that they would come over to visit their best friend. Hurriedly, Karlie takes of her pajamas and puts on some normal clothes. Taking a quick look at her reflection she sees how horrible she really looks and tries to fix it as much as she can.

"Kloss, open the damn door right now!" Her friend screams again, "I am seconds away from kicking your door open!"

Knowing her friend will follow up on her promise, Karlie runs towards the door and swings it open. Her friends are in quite the position when she opens the door; Jourdan has her arms tight around Cara who is writhing from side to side trying to free herself. Both girls stop moving when Karlie opens the door and practically launch themselves at her, almost knocking her over.