Chapter 18

The following morning, Taylor wakes up thinking Karlie's arms would be wrapped around her. They weren't though, Taylor was completely alone. She feels cold without Karlie there to warm her and therefore decides to search for the model.

Taylor lazily throws her legs out of bed. She hadn't changed out of her clothes from yesterday, but considering they're sweats she decides to wear them for one more day. She shuffles down the hallway, eyes cast downwards. She knows there are countless pictures hanging on the walls that would hurt too much to look at. Over time, maybe she'll look back at them with happiness, but not now.

Downstairs, she finds Karlie in the kitchen shouting into her phone and the model's face is contorted in a frustrated expression. From the looks of it the conversation isn't a pleasant one and Taylor wonders what it's about. Not wanting to disturb Karlie, Taylor leans against the doorframe.

"Just give me one more month! I'll get back to work after that I promise." 'Okay, so that's what this conversation is about' Taylor thinks to herself.

"Three weeks then, just give me some time." The reply Karlie gets quite obviously isn't the one she wanted, for the model is practically seething with anger after the comment.

"I'm all she has! She lost her husband for god's sake and I'm the only one she's opened up to. Don't you understand I have to help her?"

"But she needs me too! I promise I'll get back to work afterwards, I just need some more time! I need to be there for her. At least give me two more weeks, please."

Taylor observes Karlie closely and sees the model's face visibly relax. Her whole posture goes from ridged to slouched and even Taylor breaths out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, that's all I asked for." Just then Karlie turns around and realizes Taylor has woken up. "I need to go now, we'll discuss the details later. Bye."

Karlie lays her phone on one of the countertops and walks over to Taylor. She wraps her arms around the singer and pulls her in for a tight embrace. "I'm sorry you had to hear that."

"No, I'm sorry. I-I didn't realize I was burdening you, if you need to-"

"You're not a burden to me, Taylor. I want to be here. That was just my agent being an inconsiderate bitch." Taylor laughs out loud. Karlie never curses and to hear such foul words come from the model's mouth sounds weird.

Karlie feels so many things after hearing Taylor laugh again. This is the first laugh she's gotten out of the blonde since she opened up to Karlie,  she'd only gotten small smiles. If it were up to Karlie, she'd spent the rest of her life getting the blonde to laugh. She just hopes Taylor will let her.

"I'm still sorry," Taylor whispers and Karlie shakes her head.

"Don't be," Karlie says while caressing Taylor's cheek. "I made you some breakfast, it's on the counter over there. I'm going to get dressed right now since I've already eaten. Be ready in half an hour."

"Why do I need to be ready?" Taylor asks with a confused expression on her face.

"Remember our conversation yesterday? I'd show you what I do when I'm overwhelmed by my feelings, so that's what we're going to do."

"Right," Taylor says and walks over to the counter to retrieve her breakfast. Meredith jumps onto the counter and prances around trying to get Taylor to pet her. Taylor sits down and with one hand in the cats fur she starts eating.

---

Karlie alerts Taylor's security they're going out. Taylor's house is swarmed by paparazzi and Karlie already dreads having to drag Taylor through the mass of people. She'd hoped they wouldn't be there, but considering Taylor is the world's most famous singer and her 'boyfriend' just died that was highly unlikely.