Chapter 17 - Not-So-New Secrets

Robert's Perspective

As I drank down a pretty okay, almost decent cup of coffee, I pressed the lone button on my iPhone 5. I frowned. Twelve o' six.

They were late.

I don't know why I had even told them to be here by twelve. The building was surrounded by paps, first of all, and, of course, then there were always the reporters that were trying to cram themselves into the hospital, dying to interview a doctor or nurse in the small hope that they had some sort of clue of what was going on and would actually spill.

I smiled, but only a little. They, they meaning most of the hospital staff and the press, didn't know that I'd moved Lana to the very top floor of the hospital for that very reason. I sighed, getting impatient.

I'd been waiting in this restaurant, drinking the same cup of coffee, watching the restaurant slowly accommodate and fill up with more and more customers. Watching more and more people fill up the tables beside me, getting anxious that some one would recognize me, flip out on me, and force me to flee the goddamned premises. No one had come up to me, thankfully, but they were staring. Boy, were they staring.

I was wearing incredibly dark shades so no one could really see glaring back at them. I rolled my eyes at a particular girl who was probably three times younger than I was. She was drooling I my direction. I groaned, downing my coffee heavily.

My waiter, Rena, glided over to my booth, a sympathetic look on her face. She sat down across from me, pouring more coffee into my mug.

"Thanks." I said, giving her a small smile. She ran a hand through her hair.

"I didn't know it would be so crowded today." She whispered, her Southern accent thick and country. I shook my head, taking another sip.

"It's fine. I'm ... I'm used to it." Rena still looked upset that she couldn't help. She was always annoyed when people bothered me in public. I mean, I was too, but after years of acting, it was easy to pretend like I was fine with it all.

I'd come into this restaurant about fifteen times before. I'd always asked for Rena as my waitress. She was thirty now, but looked about five years younger than that, her blond bob framing her pixie shaped face perfectly. She and I had become good acquaintances over the years but never really friends. Which was good. I didn't need any lady friends at the moment. I reached across the table and patted her hand.

"Honey. You're fine. Doesn't that mean that you get more tips?"

She laughed. "Maybe." I nodded, reaching into my pocket.

I pulled out a twenty and kissed it, sliding it towards her. Rena looked up at me, raising her brows.

"Wow." She tucked it into her bra, patting it for effect. She winked and I smiled.

"Early birthday present." I told her, sitting back in the seat. She frowned, confused.

"Robbie, my birthday isn't until January." I grinned wider.

"I know." She smiled, looking down.

"Well, thank ya." I nodded once, my gaze shifting towards the door as it chimed open.

I sat up, crossing my arms. I watched Rena turn around and see who it was. She smirked.

"I'll leave ya to it, then. Just holler if ya need anything, kay?" I smiled again, looking up at her as she stood.

"Thanks, Ren." She nodded, shash-saying towards a table near the front.

Indio, Alex, and Alana all looked like regular kids, well young adults , at least. They're inexpensive jeans and and shirts, helped them to blend right in. I immediately realized why the hell I'd been recognized. My bright orange shirt and skinny jeans with matching orange and purple Addias.. who else would wear this besides me? I smiled, making room for Indio to sit next to me while Alana-Rose and Alex, her much older boyfriend, sat across from us.