Chapter 31 | No Blinks...

I went back to Nate and Laurel's house for the night. I couldn't possibly stay with Oliver, it would have led to things. Those things would've yet again screwed up our relationship even further.

The day ahead of us was going to be emotional and I had to take care of the situation on my own. The hardest part of my day was yet to happen in the hospital hallway right now.

"Now, buddy," Oliver holds Connor by his shoulders, "Your mom needs to tell you something."

"What's wrong, mom?," Connor narrowed down his hazel eyebrows.

"You know that Ronnie's not doing to well, right?," I settle him onto my lap.

"Yeah, but he's going to be all better soon," he chirps.

"No, honey," I croak, tears welling in my eyes, "Ronnie's going to a special place."

"Can I go with him? He loves having me around!," Connor giggles.

"No, honey, we can't go with him," I shake my head as tears threaten to fall from my waterline.

"Is he-he going to heaven, mommy?," Connor stammers in astonishment.

"Yes," I start to sob, but before I could display the Niagara Falls of my eyes to Connor, I swiftly turned my face into the crook of Oliver's neck.

"Oh," was all I heard coming out of Connor's mouth, the rest was just dead silence.

"Would you like to go see him?," Oliver questioned after evaluating my inability of speech.

Connor slowly nodded, then walking to Ronnie's room with Oliver's guidance. The state in which Connor and I were at that moment were more than horrible. I couldn't think of what was running through his mind, let alone why he hadn't muttered a single word.

The door opened to reveal a nurse walking out with a close clipboard with a dull expression. She rested a hand on my shoulder and squeezed slightly before walking out.

"Hey, buddy," Ronnie croaked, flashing a weak smile.

"Mommy said that you were leaving," Connor's bottom lip quivered, sadness taking over his eyes.

"Come here," Ronnie tapped a spot on the bed next to him, Connor immediately climbing up and sitting next to him. "Sometimes, people have to go, and that's not a bad thing."

"Are you saying good-bye?," Connor whines.

"No," Ronnie chuckles, "I'm saying...'see you later'."

"We're going to see each other again?," Connor's face lightens up.

"Of course, buddy," Ronnie ruffles his hair, "but in a while."

"How long?"

"A while," Ronnie repeats, "One day, we're all going to see each other."

"So I should't be that sad?," Connor hugs Ronnie, holding him tightly.

"No, not at all, little buddy," Ronnie ruffles his hair weakly.

"But I sure am going to miss you," Connor closes his eyes as he hugs Ronnie tighter.

"I'm going to miss you too, sport," he places a kiss on Connor's head, tear escaping his right eye and trailing down his cheek. "Could I have a moment with your mom?"

Connor nods, hopping off the bed and grabbing ahold of Oliver's hand, holding him close while they both exit the room.

"You know I love you, right?," Ronnie extends his arm to hold my hand.