Confined

(Alice's POV)

I woke up on the cold cell floor and quickly sat up to look around. Something was missing? No, someone was missing. It was Claire, the pregnant woman Kane forced me to change. I began to wonder if she was real or a dream. It felt real, but if that's the case, where is she?

I looked around, before closing my eyes, using the insight I gained when I became a vampire. It's a way for me to sense people without physically seeing them. I took a deep breath and pictured Claire in my head as I exhaled. It took a few minutes, but I finally felt a connection. She is real, and she is here.

I opened my eyes after feeling another presence. I was unsure of who it was, until they stepped out of the shadows. It was Sophia. I hated it when she used her magic to cloak herself, but I understand why she does it. I have grown a friendship with her over the last five years. Mostly because we are the only two female vampires in this clan, except Kane's hybrids, but they don't live in our mansion though. In order to expand his army, Kane sends them out to spread the word and mutant blood.

Sophia and I have been planning to escape. We want nothing to do with Kane's plans. He is the quintessential of evil. Once I'm out of this place, I will do all I can to stop his plans. Kane ruined my life, and now it's my turn to return the favor. He will rue the day he came for me. I won't stop torturing him in the same manner as he has done to me and all the others until he begs for mercy. If he did anything to Claire or those babies, I would kill him myself.

"Where's Claire?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Who?" She asked.

"Come on Sophia. You know what I'm talking about," I said.

"Maybe, maybe not," Sophia said in a teasing voice.

"Sophia! She's young and pregnant. If he hurts her... I will kill..." I said before she interrupted me.

"She's fine darling," Sophia said. "No need to be hasty."

"Where is she?" I asked as I approached the cold metal bars of the cell. "I want to see her."

"I'm sorry, but that's not an option," Sophia said.

"Sophia, please," I said. "I need to see her!"

"You will have to wait to see your new friend," she said with a hint of jealousy.

"Don't be like that Sophia," I said.

"Like what?" she asked with a shrug.

"You're jealous," I said.

She laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Me? Jealous of what?" she asked.

"My friendship with Claire," I said.

She slowly walked towards my cell. When her eyes meet mine, I can see darkness brewing inside them. She used magic to conceal something from me, something she didn't want me to know.

"What you have isn't friendship, Alice," Sophia said.

"You don't know that," I said as I shook my head.

"You've just met her, and only known her for a few hours," Sophia said as she pushed away from the cell. "That is nothing compared to the five years we've spent together."

"The last five years I've been your prisoner," I said before looking away. "She didn't look at me like I was a prisoner."

"You are not my prisoner, Alice. In case you forgot, I've been trying to help us both escape," Sophia said as she approached the cell bars. "Without me, you're not going anywhere."

"You don't think I know that?" I asked.

She ignores my question and rambles on.

"Of course, she didn't view you as a prisoner," Sophia said as her long fingers grasped the bars of the cage. "She looks at you as if she is your next meal."

"Stop it," I whispered under my breath.

"She fears you," Sophia said with a smirk.

"Stop it!" I said through gritted teeth.

"Stop what?" Sophia asked as she shrugged.

"She's not scared of me. She talked to me the whole time before her change. She let me touch her pregnant belly. She..." I stopped myself before speaking about the promise.

"She what?" Sophia asked.

"Nothing, it doesn't matter," I said as I shook my head. "Can you please take me to her?"

"I'm just trying to be an honest friend," Sophia said as she shook her head. "I would not lie to you, so why are you keeping things from me?"

"You claim you are my friend, then act like it, and tell me where she is!" I demanded.

Just then I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It then moved to my abdomen. My fangs elongated, and cut my bottom lip, before I fell to the ground. I felt it traveling up my throat, knowing I was about to throw up and couldn't stop it. It protruded out of my mouth and onto the cement floor, appearing as thick, dark red sludge. It was blood. This was unusual. I knew something was wrong, but there was nothing I could do about it.

As I felt another sharp pain, I heard Sophia faintly yell my name as she struggles to open the cell door. I faded in and out of consciousness after suddenly becoming dizzy and my vision blurred. Everything moved slowly. Even falling over into my bloody vomit happened slowly. I closed my eyes, allowing darkness to take me.

While I could see and hear nothing, I could feel a slight sense of what was happening around me. My face was covered in vomit. It clung to me like sticky slime. Suddenly, I felt two arms around me lifting me up from the wet floor. Then I was as light as a feather, like my spirit had left its body. I felt so free, yet so confined. Confined by the darkness that now surrounds me.