Lights in The Distance

(Alice's POV)

I woke up, sitting up slowly, and gasped for air. Those assholes must have sedated me. I threw off my blanket, as I felt the rage boiling in my blood. I walked up to the bars of the cage, and started banging on them. A temper tantrum from me happened rarely, but when it did happen it was bad. Not as bad as it would've been, if I was still a banshee. 

I screamed and clawed the bars with my long nails. It was so dark down here. The only lighting was a candle on the wall, which only lit a portion of the room. My fingers started to bleed from scratching the bars of the cell.

"Let me out of this fucking cage, before I make you wish you had!" I yelled as loud as I could.

The door creeped open, and a smirk formed on my face. I hid in the dark and watched where the light shined. A small glow from a candle came down the steps. I couldn't sense who it was. Which is strange, because usually I can.

I let out a snarl, as I hear them getting close to the cage. I jumped out to see a cloaked Sophia, holding the two babies. I seen blood on them. Panic set in.

"Sophia, what happened? Why was I sedated? Why are you and the babies all bloody?" I asked in a panicked tone.

"I don't have much time. I wanted you to see them one last time," She said.

"What do you mean?" I asked while narrowing my eyes.

"These babies should've never been born. They killed Claire, and I've seen into the future-" Sophia trailed off.

"What?! Sophia! What did you see?" I asked frantically.

"There isn't one," She said.

"You're wrong! They're babies, Sophia!" I said.

"For now, but they will grow. They will become very powerful. More powerful than you. Kane will replace you. Once he's done with you, he could kill you. He already killed-" Her voice broke off.

"Who!? Sophia tell me!" I said as fear crept in.

She looked away, before walking away. I reached my arm through the cage, and grabbed Sophia's arm. She pulled away, and sat the babies on the floor, before turning back to face me.

"It's Tate," She said.

When I heard his name, I fell to my knees. The one and only guy I've ever loved, is now dead. I could feel the tears swelling in my eyes, as I shook my head.

"You're lying," I said as a tear streamed down my face.

The tear was cold and hot at the same time. I watched as it hit the ground. I looked up at her, as she held out her hand.

"I can show you, if you want," She said.

I nodded my head, before taking her hand. I want to see him, but at the same time I don't want to see the ugly truth. I could feel myself fading into a dark abyss.

Once the darkness faded away. I was there. I was watching as it happened right before my eyes. Tate was being attacked. I looked over at Sophia, who looked at me. She was the only one who could see me.

I tried yelling for him, but nothing came out. Then I tried to run to him, but I was frozen, paralyzed. I was watching him die, in this cold, lonely ally. I am trapped back in my cell, and he is here all alone. Why did he come alone?

Tears streamed down my face. I closed my eyes, and cried to myself. When I opened them again, I was back in my cell. I looked up to find Sophia, who was now on her knees in front of the babies. What was she doing?

When I seen her raise her hands above her head. I reached through the cell bars, and tried to grab her, but she was too far away. All I could hear was the baby boy crying, as if it were crying for me, waiting for me to come hold him.

"Sophia! What are you doing?" I screamed with tears streaming down my face.

"I have to do this. I don't want to die!" She said back.

I watched in fear, when I seen her hands come down, ready to kill Claire's babies. The silence never came. Instead, Sophia's arms froze and she couldn't move. I looked at her, and she looked at me. I could see the fear in her eyes.

I screamed when she was lifted into the air and flung back against the wall. There was a lot of blood. I looked away. I was so confused, I don't know what happened. I wanted to run to her, but I couldn't.

Another person has died in front of me. Someone close to me. I wiped away my tears. I refuse to stand by, trapped in a cage, while there's a war going on right in front of me. I looked around the room, for the shiney cell keys.

I began to pace when I remembered that Kane stopped leaving the key hang down here, after the last time I tried to escape. I heard soft whispers, from the dark parts of the room. I backed up against the cell wall. My eyes never leaving the sight of the babies.

I may be a vampire, but that doesn't make me indestructible. There's other beings out there that are stronger, some that have yet to be discovered. With Kane making all the new beings and hybrids, it's hard to tell what could be out there.

The shadow crept closer, and I could almost make out a hand reaching for the cage door. The hand was almost transparent. What the hell was this thing? The door made a scrapping sound as it slowly opened. I closed my eyes and waited for what was about to happen.

This could either be good or bad. Either it's going to try to hurt or kill me, or it's trying to help me. After a few minutes, I opened my eyes. It was gone, and the door was open.

I rushed to the babies, only the boy was crying. He's probably hungry or needs changed. It will have to wait. I carried them up to the top of the stairs. Before I left the place that I was once a prisoner of, I turned around.

I looked down the steps. The shadow was lurking on the ground, and I could hear more more whispering. I took a breath, while thinking of what I'm going to do.

"Thank you," I said to the shadow before closing the door behind me.

I went to Sophia's room first, I found a duffle bag, and filled it with some of Sophia's clothes. I love the fact that we are the same size. I threw on a night gown, just to have something covering my body. Then made my way up to the nursery, where I found diapers, baby wipes, and newborn clothes.

After stuffing some baby supplies in a diaper bag, I made my way back down stairs. I checked the time on the large grandfather clock. It was 11:11. Today is a Friday, the day when the clan goes out on their weekly hunt. They'll be home around midnight. So, I have to make this fast.

I looked at the big portrait of Kane hanging over the fireplace. A smile crept upon my face, because I remember Sophia telling me about the safe behind the portrait. She said it almost like a riddle.

"When you're ready to face the fire you will be rewarded with great treasures," I recalled.

I placed the babies on the couch and the bags on the floor, before ripping the painting of him off the wall. Then used my vampire hearing to put in the combination. To my amazement, I opened it to find a lot of treasure. Well I guess you could call it treasure. I opened the duffel bag, and filled it with three handguns and at least $100,000. They owe me this for keeping me imprisoned here these last five years.

I zippered up the bag, before picking up the babies, and headed for the door. The cold nights air hits me, for the first time in five years. I went back inside, and grabbed a cloak that hung on the coat rack, and wrapped it around myself, before closing the door behind me. I have no idea where I'm going, or what I'm doing. That was  until I found what I was looking for. Lights in the distance.

(Pic is the lovely Amy Lee as Sophia)