Dangerous Journey Ahead

(Anna's POV)

I was awakened by the light coming through the window. I rolled over in my bed, only to find I was alone. I sat up quickly and looked around when I noticed Alex and Ali were missing from the bed. Panic set in until I heard noises and voices coming from the kitchen. Their whispers were so low, I couldn't hear what was being said. Someone was here.

I climbed out of bed and looked out the window, but couldn't see anything but the usual view of Alice's old room. I quietly opened the door and slowly crept down the hall. I peeked around the corner. That's when I saw Tate chasing Ali around the kitchen.

My body tension eased as I smiled at the sight of the two of them playing around. Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. I whipped around, only to be enveloped in Alex's arms. He raised his eyebrows and smirked.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I've just been so jumpy since last night," I explained as I looked away.

Alex gently lifts my face to his, and our eyes lock as his hands caress my jaw. He kisses me on the lips, then makes his way down to the nape of my neck. I could feel his fangs elongate and scrape against my bare neck. He pulled me closer, and I could feel him harden against me. His muscles tighten and flex, as I caress his body over his clothing.

The tense moment was short-lived when the clearing of a throat averted our attention away from each other. Tate had a hand on his hip, and a smirk on his face as he shook his head. I could feel my face turn hot from blushing, as I looked back up at Alex, who wrapped his arms around me. When he looks at Tate, I can see a hint of seriousness in his eyes.

"Should we tell her?" Tate asked.

I looked up at Alex confused.

"I guess we have to, now that you've said something," Alex said with a sigh.

Alex took me by the hand and led me through the kitchen, then into the living room. I was shocked to see who was waiting for me and was almost tackled by hugs. It was Damon and Rain. I haven't seen them since the dreadful night we lost Alice when she rescued all of us and in return took my place.

I hugged them back, before stepping away and taking in their appearance I had long forgotten during their absence. Rain was still short, though her hair was now longer and as black as a raven's feathers. As for Damon, he's gotten taller or maybe I've shrunk, and his hair is still a light, sandy blonde color.

"It's so nice to see you guys again," I said with a smile.

My smile quickly changed to a frown when I thought about the reasons why they were here. They've been hiding all this time, living in secrecy with no contact, but only surfaced now, risking their lives with a bounty on their heads. Why?

"Not to sound rude, but why are you here?" I asked.

Rain looked at the floor, and Damon looked at Alex and Tate.

"Um... Anna," Alex said slowly. "It's about Alice."

Tears swelled in my eyes, as my heart dropped into the pit of my stomach, making me feel nauseous. I feared there would only be bad news. So, I braced myself, holding my breath as I anxiously waited for whatever came from his lips. Instead, I was surprised by what he said next.

"She is alive and we are determined to get her back," Alex said confidently. "Tate was close to finding her, and that's why they tried to kill him, as a warning to back off."

"So we're heading back to that spot, and plan to track her from there," Tate said. "Things are about to become very dangerous."

"When are we leaving?" I asked eagerly.

Alex and Tate looked at each other.

"That's the thing... You're not coming with us. It's just Alex, Damon, and I," Tate said.

"That's not fair!" I yelled. "She is my best friend!"

"She's the love of my life, and I've been searching for her ever since the day he took her from us," Tate said with his hands on his hips. "Do we want a repeat of last time?"

Tate's words angered me. As much as I knew them to be true, it still hurt.

Before I could argue with Tate, Alex said, "And you are the love of my life, and the mother of my child. I won't lose you again."

"This is about me being a distraction and getting in the way, isn't it? Isn't it??" I asked angrily as I shook my head.

"No, you have to stay with Ali. You need to protect our daughter. If anything happens to me, she will need you," Alex said.

"If you leave, you better return to us in one piece," I said as I shook my head. "I need you, and I can't do this without you."

He took me in his arms and kissed my forehead. Ali, who was on Tate's lap, jumped off and ran to Alex and me. I picked her up and held her between us.

"That would be the perfect picture to take," Damon said.

"I thought we wouldn't show up in a photograph, though?" I asked.

"That is a myth made up by the original vampires. Most things humans think they know about us, vampires, are not true. They've simply made up the rumors to keep us safe," Damon said.

"I never knew that," I said honestly.

"There's a lot you don't know about our kind. The good news is while the guys are out, Ceciellia and I plan to teach you," Rain said as she touched my shoulder.

I look at my little girl, and I can only imagine what Ceciellia could tell me about her. I fear what she could say. As far as I know, and from what Alex told me, there's never been a hybrid of a vampire and a banshee. I just don't want to be told there is something wrong with my baby girl. I kissed her head, and something strange happened.

"I love you, Mommy," I heard a soft, sweet girl's voice say.

Ali just spoke to me for the first time, which wasn't a surprise. After all, she has banshee genes from Alice's blood running through her blood. I smiled while crying happy tears before I started laughing. Everyone gave me a strange look.

"She talked to me," I explained with a smile.

"She did?" Alex asked.

I nodded my head in excitement. Then I thought about what else could happen when Ali's other powers became active. The sudden realization of imminent danger snatched me from my happy place and dropped me into a pit of fear. If Kane, or anyone working for him, found out about Ali's existence, she could be taken next.

I know what I have to do. I'll stay here and get Ceciellia's help, so I can understand this better, and learn how to help Ali control it.

"So when are you guys leaving?" I asked when the room became quiet.

Alex looked at Tate. The room remains quiet, as awkward glances are shared among the group. As if everyone else already knew what was happening and what the plan was, other than me. I was left out of the loophole.

"Tonight," Tate finally says.

"Oh... Well, suppose I better get Ali and I ready to leave then," I said before turning towards the door.

Alex kissed my forehead before I carried Ali away to my bedroom. Once we were inside, I sat Ali on the bed. Then I swung open the door to the walk-in closet, before grabbing two suitcases and a few changes of clothes for Ali and me, to prepare us for the long, dangerous journey ahead.