Ch.2

Riley's eyes fluttered open to the familiar room, lit up by the sun coming through the window. She turned her head to see an empty spot. Her smile was replaced with curiosity as to why. She stood up and walked into the living room, where her parents sat.
"Where's Maya?"
"I'm not sure. Did she leave?"
"I don't know but she was acting really strange last night. She cried and she wouldn't tell me why. She never cries."
"Try calling her." Said Cory, concerned.
"Lucas." Said a voice through the box.
"Lucas, do you know where Maya is?" She asked.
"I need to talk to you about that." Riley let him up.
"So what is it?" Asked Riley, letting him in.
"Maya's on her way to Southern Florida to live with her father."
"What!"
"Her mom hit her and lost custody of her."
"Katy hit her?" Asked Topanga.
"She's living with her dad?" Asked Cory.
"As well as his wife and ten children."
"She's gone?" Asked Riley in tears.
"She's gonna call you Riley. She didn't want to see you cry." Riley cried anyways.
--
Maya's father led her into the home where all of the kids sat at the table.
"Everyone, this is Maya." Most of them were older but a few were younger. She stared blankly at them.
"Another sibling." Said the oldest boy.
"Michael." said Kermit. "You chose not to get a job and to live here. You graduated two years ago."
"Whatever." Kermit showed Maya to her room. It was a tiny room with a small cot and a box for her stuff. It was dark and gloomy. There was a window right next to her bed, letting in the blueish light of the late afternoon on the cloudy day. He flicked on a lightbulb handing from the ceiling as she put her bag on her bed.
"Sorry that it's small. Hard with so many kids." She nodded as she began to put her clothes in the box. "I got you one other thing." He handed her a key. "It's the blue bike in the back behind the shed. I put it there when I first found out you were coming. I forgot to move it. Dinners in a half hour if you want to come out." Maya continued putting her things away as he left. Ten minutes later, there were two girls in the door. Both older. One by a year and one by two.
"You don't even look like us." Maya nodded and continued.
"Are you mute?" Asked the other. Maya shrugged her shoulders.
"Then sign something."
She turned around and signed some if what she knew.
Get the f*ck out of my room.
"What's that mean?" Asked one, jerkily. Maya turned back to her stuff and they walked away.