Chapter 2

Pulling into the diner I climb out of the jeep and hang off the door for a second, I drop to the ground stumbling for a moment before I can catch my bearings, curse my shortness. Walking around the car I spot my friend and coworker Chloe Patterson through the window. She sees me and raises her hand like she's going to wave but ends up just giving me the bird. I'm still laughing by the time I get inside and clock on.
Chloe is a cute petite thing with mocha skin, huge smile and a perverse sense of humor.
She's awesome.
I'm cleaning up a table when she walk up to me and says.

" School starts in a week, have you registered yet? If you don't do it like today you won't get in until next semester!"

I shrug saying. "No I haven't, there really isn't a point, it's not like I'll be here long enough to see the whole school year through."

"Omg fern don't be dramatic of course you will." Chloe says with an eye roll.

I heave a huge breath of air, turning towards Chloe with my hands full of dirty plates one of them I swear has gum on the bottom of it.

"First of all stop calling me by random plants that's super annoying, the only plant you're allowed to call me is Ivy, and second, I'm really not being dramatic mom moves us every few months since my dad died 4 years ago."
She raises her painted on eyebrows at me spanks my butt then says over her shoulder as she shimmies away from me.

"Hunny you know you'll never leave me, plus I'm gonna need my main chick with me when I inevitably get in a fight with one of those popular bitches."

Calling out to her retreating form,
"I'll talk to my mom about it but I'm not making any promises!"

I'd been working for about 3 hours when I get a text from mom saying she's not going to be home tonight, I shake my head pitying whatever man she had in her clutches. I work for another 4 hours when Sue finally lets me off. She's a sweet woman who looks like she's the best grandma ever but let me tell you that lady can be a real slave driver.
It's around 6 pm and the sun isn't even close to setting. I don't feel like going home yet I can feel the need to sire. I eat food like a regular person would but I also need to feed like a siren would or I'd go insane then die, right now I'm getting the first pangs of hunger it's been around 2 weeks since I'd last sired I don't need to feed as frequently as a full blooded siren does but I still have to. Most sirens when siring feel a sexual thrill, the whole exchange is very intimate. But for some reason it's different for me unlike other sirens who can just sing to draw out the person's essance I have to have physical contact plus I hate hurting people. So when I go hunting I tend to stick to the places where crimes are at their highest, looking for bad people to do my dirty work on. Don't get me wrong I'm not some sex crazed maniac I'm still a virgin, but being a siren it gets really, really hard sometimes to stay one. That's why I go after bad men or woman who I have no attraction to.
Even though I'm showing the first signs of the siren madness, dizzying disorientation, a tingling sensation starting at my throat which was slowly spreading to my brain. For a full blooded siren after you start getting siren madness it'll take up to a week and a half before it ultimately destroys the siren. Thankfully being a half blood it takes way longer for me to succumb to it. I've only gone a week before I caved and found some sorry lot and sired him though so I truly don't know how long I can actually last.
It would probably be another 3 or 4 hours before the sun set. Which meant the food I preferred wouldn't show their faces for that amount of time. So I decided to go to a park close to my work, I did not want to wait for nightfall in one of those neighborhoods where I usually sire in. The park was mostly empty except for a expecting mom with her toddler on the swings. I keep to the opposite side of the park from the family. Sometimes the madness makes me think crazy thoughts and there's no way I was going to hurt a kid, so I need to stay clear of their energy fields.
Unlike most sirens, I am more attuned the person energy feild I can literally feel the vibrations coming off of a person when I get hungry. Maybe it's because I'm part human I don't know but they affect me more. And sometimes when I let myself get hungrier than usual I can literally see the color of them, their aura. At those moment when I can see them I can truly see who the person is at that moment. It's a sneak peek to their goodness. The base color in the middle varies in between night black to pristine white. The base color shows how pure and good a person is to how bad they are. There is also a outer trim color that showed the person's emotion at that moment. Seeing a person's aura was truly breathtaking and it saddened me that it wasn't working right now as I watch the happy mother and son play.
I stayed in that park until the sun started setting, I contemplated staying and watching the sunset because they were my favorite compared to all the other states I'd been in. Something about the Washington wild life enhance the beauty of the suns setting. But when I felt the tingle surge through my veins once more I decided against it.
It was time to go hunting.