8 - Just A Sad Song

Cole POV

"You're just a sad song, with nothing to say. About a life long wait for a hospital stay. Well if you think that I'm wrong, this never meant nothing to you." I quietly sang as I splatter painted a canvas. I looked down at my left hand and sighed.

"Knock, knock." Cassie said and lightly taped the door.

"Hey." I said, softly.

"You okay?" She asked.

"I don't even know anymore." I threw some more paint at the canvas.

"Are you still annoyed about what your mom did?" It's been two weeks since my "mom" was here.

"Addison or Sarah?" I asked.

"Both."

"Sarah's a bitch; always has been, always will be. She's pissed at me for something I didn't even do. I don't know if I can ever forgive Addison. I don't know why she didn't want me. But, she had her reasons, I guess." I said, looking at her. I shrugged. I looked down at my hand again and sighed.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Cass, how do you know if you're ready to get married?"

"I just knew." She smiled. Her smile faded into a frown. "Cole, are you having second thoughts?"

"Do you want the truth?" I asked. She nodded. "Yeah."

"Cole, you're getting married in a month. You can't have second thoughts now."

"Cass, I'm nineteen."

"So? I was too. When I was nineteen, I also had a baby. Cole, you're ready for this."

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Because it's true. Sweetie, you love Mikey more than anything else. You're marrying him. Even if I have to push you down that goddamn aisle." I laughed.

"Shit."

"What?" She asked, concerned.

"I don't have anyone to walk me down the aisle."

"Actually, you might." Cassie said.

"As much as I love you, you're not walking me down the aisle."

"That's not what I meant." She extended her hand out to me. "Come on." I looked at her, confused. "Come on." I took her hand and she pulled me up. We walked downstairs. Mikey turned his head and smiled at me.

"Hey. There's someone I want you to meet." I slowly nodded. I walked into the kitchen and saw an older blonde lady sitting at the table. Cassie handed me a cup of tea and patted my shoulder.

"Hi." I said and sat at the table.

"Oh my God." The lady said.

"Um, I'm Cole."

"I know. Wow. You're so grown up. The last time I saw you, you were only thirteen."

"Um, I'm sorry, but who are you?" I asked.

"It's me, Cole. It's Addison. I'm your mom."

"Damn." How did I not realize that? She has blonde hair, her eyes are the same color as mine, and she's like a vampire. "How did you find me?"

"I saw on TV that you were getting married. So, I flew out here and Mikey found me."

"Wait, what do you mean 'Mikey found you'?" I asked.

"I was in Starbucks and then he came in. He said I looked just like you. We started talking and he told me that you were going to start looking for me. And, now I'm here."

"Why'd you do it?" I asked quietly.

"Because I wanted to see you. Cole, I want-"

"That's not what I meant." I cut her off. "Why did you give me to them? You're my mom, so why weren't you there? Sarah abused me for years, Addison. Before today, I only met you once. You're the reason we moved."

"Cole, I didn't want to give you to them. If it was up to me, you would still be mine. I was sixteen when you were born. I was ready for a baby. My mother made me give you to them. She said the only thing I could do was name you."

"You were only sixteen?" I asked, tears lightly spilling from my eyes.

"Yeah. Your father was nineteen. He wanted to stay with me, but Sarah convinced him not to. Sarah also convinced him to change your name."

"What?"

"Do you really think I would give you such a terrible name. Your birth name is Cole. Just, Cole. Plain and simple. Sarah came up with that 'Nicole' shit. She tried to change everything about you. She wanted to call you Nikki. Your father wouldn't allow it."

"What's the name on my birth certificate?" I asked. I never saw it. I don't even know if my parents have it.

"Cole Addison Stevens."

"They changed my middle name."

"I know. Cole, none of that matters anymore. At least, not to me. I just want to be a part of your life. But if you want, I'll go back to Georgia."

"No. Don't go back. Stay here. Be my mom."

"Thank you." She said.

"I have one more question." I said.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to come to my wedding?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. Now, I finally have my shot at a real family.

XoXo

~XhannahX