A Night To Forget

Dani POV

            “Daddy?” I could practically picture the ‘Oh shit!’ face on Austin, but I was too busy peering around him. I finally kicked him in the shin, which brought him to duck a little and I saw not one, but two three-year-old kids, who seemed to be twins. The girl rushed over to Austin and screamed,

            “Daddy? Are you okay?”

            “I’m alright sweetheart,” he says gruffly. I don’t know why. It’s not like I kicked him in between the knees, though he totally deserves it. I purse my lips and say,

            “You have twins?” Austin snaps his head back up at me, “and you didn’t tell me?”

            “Dani, let me—“ but he was cut off. And if you’re pointing fingers at me, ha! Guess again.

            “You’re a mean lady!” yelled the little girl.

            “Why did you hurt our daddy?” asked the other twin, who was a boy. I looked at the two of them, deciding what I would say.

            “I didn’t mean to hurt your… um daddy,” I began, “uh… your daddy just hurt my feelings.” I hold my breath waiting for their response. The two kids look at each other, as if mentally talking through a mind link. Both the kids seemed to think that my answer was legit because they came up to give me a hug.

            “We’re sorry! Our daddy didn’t mean to hurt you!” sniffled the girl.

            “He didn’t mean too!” exclaimed the boy. Then they both burst into tears. Slightly confused and very alarmed, I squatted down to their level and said,

            “It’s alright! Please don’t cry!”

            “Really?” They both asked.

            “Really,” I replied. Looking satisfied, the kids went back to wherever they came from. Standing back up again, I glare at Austin.

            “Hahaha… um… surprise?” he said meekly. I turned around swiftly, ignoring his calls, and head to my car. I made it, but I couldn’t find the stinking keys! I could see Austin making his way over to me.

            “Keys, keys, keys,” I thought hurriedly as I searched my purse. I finally found them and was about to put them into my car, when a hand grabs my arm and twists it behind me.

            “Let me go!” I scream, “I don’t want to talk to you!” He twists me around, so I would be facing him.

            “Dani—“

            “I can’t believe you had kids, and they’re twins Austin, TWINS!” I cut him off.

            “I can ex—“

            “There is nothing that you can do to fix this!” I yelled at his face. He’s taken aback from my sudden outburst.

            “Dani, just—“

            “No,” I retorted, “just let me leave.”

            “I can’t let you do that,” he said.

            “You can, and you will,” I replied stubbornly.

            “DANI! Enough!” he shouted. He released my arms and pushed me against my car.