WFM (22)

"Where to sir?" The cab driver asks me.
"Take me to the airport please." I tell him. Leaning my head against the window of the cab. What am I doing? Leaving behind my friends and family? I know that I have to do it, but what am I supposed to tell them? That I can't be around them anymore?
That would tear them apart. God, Quincy. I've been so distant with him. Trying to protect him from being hurt. I knew that I would have to leave. I need to get better before I could be with him. I need to become the person he needs and deserves.
"Late flight?" The cab driver asks. Not picking up on the fact that I'm not in the mood to hold small talk.
"I guess." I answer. Looking as the lights of the houses shut off, and the shops close. Everybody's going home. Home... I'll be home soon Quincy.
-------
"Hello sir." The flight attendant greets me as I step onto the plane. I just smile at her and continue down the aisle to my seat. I bought first class tickets so I wouldn't have to put up with anybody sitting too close to me. I used Monroe's credit card. He knows where I'm going. I could see it in his eyes over the last few days. He left money on my night table along with his card. I couldn't stay there anymore. Especially with Kendall there, the poor boy is fragile. Having him see my demons would cause the young boys heart to break. Nobody wants that, not me, that's for sure. He's become my brother over the last few weeks.
I sigh, watching as the plane takes over. I place my earbuds in my ears. Trying to tune out the chatter that is filling my brain. I'm hoping that this goes by fast, and I could return to my family. Without knowing it, my eyes start to drift shut. All I could hope for is that the nightmares would give me a break for just one night. I don't want strangers to witness them, and see how damaged I am on the inside.
A few hours later I am woken up by the flight attendant shaking my shoulder softly. "Sir we're landing in ten minutes." She tells me with a false smile.
"Thanks." I mumble. Trying to stretch out my sore muscles. She walks away.
When the plane lands, I walk behind probably some of the slowest people on earth to get to baggage claim. I didn't bring a lot, seeing as they'll supply me with most of the basics.
I brought all the personal items. Like a photo of all my troops, of Monroe and Kendall. Lastly, one of Quincy and I. As well as a few loose ends that I didn't want to leave behind.
I walk into the arrivals and look for the driver who's supposed to be picking me up. When I see my name written on one of those signs that you see in the movies I walk towards the older guy.
"Sergeant Walker Monroe?" He asks me. I nod and he takes my bag away from me. Leading me outside and into the cold brisk air of Montana.
I'll be home.... I just have to fight my demons. Wait for me Quincy.