Selfish(37)

*Kendalls P.O.V*

"I'm really worried about him. He hasn't really left the apartment all summer, nor has he accepted any offers from university." I mutter. Falling into the bed next to my boyfriend. He sighs and rubs his eyes. 

"There's not much that we could do Kendall. He's his own person and he is no longer a kid." He tells me. A stern tone to his voice. 

He's been so tired as of recently, and I know that he is keeping things from me. At first I allowed it, because it was his brother. 

Over the past few weeks, Quincy has turned into the brother I've never had. Monroe is holding something back that would make Quincy happy again. It's fall now, and he should be starting over. Yet, all he does is mope around the place with this saddened look on his face. The thought that I can't help him tears my heart apart. 

"Yes there is, and you know it. That letter wasn't enough. You could tell that that boy is dying on the inside. This is also your brother that we are talking about, Walker is alone and he should be fighting whatever demons he has with his family at his side. You know where he is Monroe, and I know that you guys talk every week. I'm not daft." I say to him. Sitting up and turning my body away from him. 

We have never really gotten into an argument before, but this is important. When somebody is depressed you shouldn't just act like a bystander. He never had a family who cared, and I want to give the boy that. 

"Drop it Kendall. This is not your problem." Monroe says with a firm tone. I don't back down, shocking the both of us. 

"Y-You know how to help, but you are too afraid of fucking up again that you won't take the risk." I huff. 

He looks at me sharply. "Yes, I fucked up Kendall. I walked out on my own brother, and now look at him. He's in the middle of nowhere, alone and undergoing treatment. He's trying to fight for his life, and I'm sitting here with the life that he wants. He hates me, and I have to live with my decisions. So yes, I am afraid of fucking up again but who wouldn't be?" He yells. Standing up he storms out of the room. Slamming the door behind him. 

-----------

"He's still not talking to you eh?" Q asks me as we sit at the counter. Munching on some cereal. It's been exactly two days since our argument and Monroe is still avoiding me. I can tell that I struck a nerve but he had to wake up and stop playing victim. 

His brother needs him, he should be there with him. Even if his brother doesn't see it that way. Walker is used to being alone, he knows no other way.

I nod my head at the younger boy who just pouts. 

"He'll come around eventually. He's just stubborn. Like you." He jokes, even though he has bag under his eyes. He is trying to appear happier. Which is an improvement. 

"Man I sure hope so. This is so weird. He usually gets over the small arguments or we talk it out. He's just blocking me though, and not allowing me to do so. It sucks." I tell him. He tilts his head slightly.

"What was the argument about anyways?" He questions. I have been holding back why we even had the argument in the first place. In fear that it would set him even further into his depression. Deciding that I should stop babying him, I tell him. 

"He won't help Walker, even though he knows how." I explain to him. His eyes dart away, and become clouded with confusion.

"He knows where he is?" He asks. His tone soft. 

"He has for awhile, but he won't tell me anything. Like he doesn't trust me or something. Which is stupid because we have gone through a lot together." I sigh, watching as the boys shoulders slump. 

"Is he safe?" Quincy asks me. I look over at him with sympathetic eyes. The boy is in love for the first time, and the man disappeared into thin air. That is one of the worst possibilities. He has no closure. 

"If Monroe is still here and not with him, then I'm assuming that he is." I respond to him. He nods, continuing to eat his cereal. 

The Monroe family is made up of selfish men it seems. First with Walker vanishing, then with Avery breaking a promise, and lastly now with Monroe being the way he is. If only they saw that by trying to protect the ones they love, they are really hurting them.