Chapter 8 | I Can Show You A Whole New World

I showed up at work a littler earlier than I normally do. For a few reasons, actually. The most important being, I wanted to ask Devin to stay with me tonight. I'm not sure if he'll be able to or be up to it. His boyfriend, if he's as controlling as Ange and Chris made it sound, probably wouldn't like him working overtime. He's also worked a full eight hour shift today. I'd understand if he was tired and just wanted to go home to his bed. If fate is on my side, Devin can stay with me. When is fate ever with me though?

My second reason for coming in early; I needed to check out the new exhibit before it becomes animated. I want to see what kind of displays the new additions are in. Hopefully, that fucking Wendigo will be behind glass. I didn't do the research Angelo told me to. Whoops. Gannondorf, Dr. Eggman, and Bowser are all from video games meant for kids. They can't be that bad, right? The Portal villains are computers, and the characters from Five Nights At Freddy's are animatronics. I should be able to just turn them off, right? That would only leave me with the Big Daddy and the Wendigo to worry about.

Thirdly, my dumb bitch ex wanted to go out to dinner tonight and I used work as an excuse. I knew if I saw her in person, she'd bat her eyelashes, run her hand up my arm. She'd give me that look that I always fall for like an idiot. The last thing I need in my life right now is stupidly getting back together with her. I've done it enough times to know better.

There were a few stray people still in the museum. We'd be closing in about forty minutes. I walked up to the forth floor, which was currently being guarded by a day security guard. Ryan was his name. I've come to know him in passing because he's usually closing up when I arrive for my shift. He recognized me and let me into the exhibit. Boxes were being moved out as they had just finished setting up everything.

I smiled without even thinking when I saw Devin wondering around. He was admiring the new statues. Oh, if only he knew, they were far from statues. From what I understand, they have been coming to life even being in crates in the loading bay. Tonight, though, is the first day that they won't be drowning in packing peanuts. Even when they were in this lifeless state, they did look so real. Thankfully, the Wendigo was in a glass case.

Devin must be into video game culture, because he was loving looking at the details of every statue. I was loving looking at every detail of him. He had his dreaded hair pulled to one side, a long earing handing from the exposed side. A shorter leather jacket hugged his body on top of a shirt that said Haddonfield, IL est. 1978. Tight jeans ran along perfect legs, and damn did it make his ass look good.

Fuck, be a gentleman and stop looking at his ass. Lucky me, I broke my stare away from his bottom just as he turned around. That was close. He caught my eyes and smiled as me softly. Devin practically skipped over to me. He was pretty happy for someone that gets abused. I think being here renews his joy, then it gets sucked back out of him when he goes home.

"Hey." He beamed, "How are you liking the new job?"

"A lot," I replied, "So much so, I was actually wondering if you would be interested in staying a little while after we close? I discovered something really awesome here, that you can only see at night, and I want to show you."

Devin smiled initially, then lost his beautiful grin as reality set in. "I don't know if I can. My roommate might not like me getting home later..."

Chris walked up as he was talking. He set his hand on Devin's shoulder and said, "Tell him I asked you to do some overtime tonight helping with the new exhibit. Which, isn't actually a lie. Ricky could use some help with the new editions tonight and you know these characters the best out of any of the guides."

"Thanks, Chris." Devin softly spoke, then looked at me, "I guess I am staying."

"I look forward to getting to spend some time with you." I responded. My sights fell beyond him, looking at one of the statues. "Chris, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked, and Devin sweetly excused himself. I kept my voice low as I said, "Thank you for help with Devin, thank you for incasing the Wendigo, but what the fuck is that?"