Chapter 17 | Brewing Blizzard

After a week, Ryan and I had a pattern down. It did take him some getting used to, as it would anyone. He adjusted just fine and he was starting to enjoy this place. He was even making friends. I'd cover the top two floors and he's do the bottom two. Mostly because that meant I could avoid the dolls and he could avoid the clowns. We made a good team.

Unfortunately, the new exhibit's statues were hauled in today. I was really not looking forward to this. These characters are so... disturbed. And that's coming from someone who hangs out with Chucky and Sweeney Todd. Ryan and I agreed to get to work an hour earlier to make a game plan. We read up all the stories of the characters but it still wouldn't fully prepare us.

I went into the new exhibit to scope it out. Only employees were aloud in here right now. Devin being one of the ones that came to admire everything. Ever since I practically drooled over him in that dress, he's made more efforts to wear skirts and dressed. What a little minx. He was currently wearing a longer dress with a nice slit up the side. Fuck. Chris and him were talking as they walked through the exhibit.

Devin didn't look himself, the more I watched him. He was upset about something and I think was confiding in Chris about it. Why would he go to Chris? Sure, they've known each other longer, but I'm the one trying to capture his heart. Maybe I'm overreacting or reading into this too much. Devin gave Chris a hug. Then he started to walk over to me.

"Hey, pretty lady." I greeted him.

He blushed as he glanced down, "Hey."

"You don't look too good. Everything okay?" I asked.

Devin shrugged, "It will be. I looked into that apartment you told me about. Chris is going to help me with the deposit and I'm going to move in next week. Him and Ange are going to help me move out while my boyfriend is at work. I'm just worried it won't go that smoothly."

"As long as you avoid him, it should. My apartment is 3B. You come get me if you ever need anything. I have no problem helping you move either, if you need an extra set of hands."

"That's sweet of you, but I'm moving during the morning. I don't want you to have to come straight from an eight hour shift to help me move. I hope this means we can spend more time with each other though." He softly grinned.

"Of course. We can totally have movie nights and dinner together. All the cuddles and kisses in the world." I mused.

"That'd be nice." He said as he took a look around, "How do you think you'll handle the new exhibit?"

"I have no fucking clue, honestly. I've got Ryan now though. If all else fails, I've got Hellboy and Loki too. They really know how to put people in their place."

"That sounds about right." He muttered.

Why was this so awkward? We're never this awkward. I was happy to hear he was finally getting away from that asshole. I hope he stays safe from then on out. Somehow Jessica did find out where I moved to. Let's hope Dixon doesn't do the same. If he's careful, he'll be fine. I was just too careless. I glanced down at my watch, seeing I should have a little time to spare.

"Um, can I walk you to your car?" I asked.

Devin smiled a little, "Sure."

I glanced over my shoulder to find where Ryan had walked off too. At least he wasn't far. "Ryan, I think you should be okay to start locking up, if you want to. I'm going to walk Devin down to his car and then I'll be back."

"'kay." He replied, catching the keys as I tossed them to him. "Hey, at least take this one." He popped off one of the keys from the ring and threw it back at me. It was the one that locked the door in the loading dock.

"Good call. Thanks." I responded. Then I turned back around, setting my hand on the small of Devin's back. The two of us began to walk. As we descended the second flight of stairs, I hesitantly asked, "So... If you don't mind me asking... What exactly is your gender identity and preferred pronouns and everything? Because you don't mind if I call you by male pronouns, at least not that I know of, but you wear chick clothes a lot."

"It's sweet of you to ask. Most people don't. I don't really label myself with a sexuality but as far as gender, I'm genderfluid. When I'm with a girl, I prefer to present myself as a guy. When I'm with a guy, I prefer to present myself as a girl. So, I guess that kind of makes me straight? By technicalities?" He shrugged, "Pronouns never really bothered me though. I'm comfortable with he or she."

"Good to know. You do make quite the beautiful woman." I stopped and held the door open for him. They were in the midst of hauling in the last of the statues. Great, can't fucking wait for that mess.

"Thank you." Devin shyly responded.

We walked the rest of the way through the loading bay. I held the outside door open for him as well. Then we walked across the parking lot to his car. It was a fucking blizzard out here. Shit. I don't want to let him drive in this but I know he can't stay. I quickly zipped up my leather jacket. Under it, I had a hoodie. Of which, I pulled the hood out and over my head.

Amongst the swirling snow and vicious wind, I could barely see my little vixen. Devin grabbed me by the front of my coat and pulled me into a kiss. He wrapped his leg around my hip as he slipped his tongue into my mouth. Devin's hand traveled down between my legs and he squeezed my package. Then he let go, putting his leg back on the ground. Now, that's how you give a proper goodbye kiss.

He leaned in very close to me to speak into my ear, "Good luck tonight. I'll be missing you. Stay safe and text me when you get home."

I pecked his on the cheek, replying, "I'll miss you too." My arm snaked around his waist and I gave his perfect ass a squeeze, "Drive safe, let me know when you get home too. Goodnight, Beautiful."

"Goodnight, Honey."

Devin pulled away from me, breaking my heart as he did so. Whenever we were together with our bodies intertwined, I felt a new type of wholeness I never have before. I hated having to let him go like this. All I wanted was to curl up beside a warm fire with him. Even if I didn't have to work tonight and he didn't have a boyfriend to go home to, I can't even afford a place with a fireplace.